Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior How can you tell if your pig is happy ?

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
my pigs make sounds all the time, but are there any behaviors that tell you when they are happy?

Skippie

Cavy Slave
Popcorning is a big one. However, as my pigs have gotten older, they don't popcorn as much but I know they are still happy. Squealing can be a happy sign but so are things like running to the cage when you come home. They generally act cheerful or giddy as well. Happy pigs enjoy eating and enjoy exploring. If they are bored, they sit around a lot and simply look bored. Make sure you are stimulating them by having a veggie "scavenger" hunt, changing the layout of their cage, give them new veggies to try, and supply them with different toys like boxes with pieces cut out and different sizes of bags. When my boys are happy, they have more of a "hop" when they walk as well. A pig who is healthy, well fed, paid attention to and loved is a happy pig!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well wheeking, chutting, and chirping are commonly happy sounds in guinea pigs. Popcorning and running laps is also commonly activities that happy pigs do.

It's a bit hard to explain. You'd definitely see a difference when your piggy is fully happy.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Weight is a good indicator of both a healthy and a happy pig. If you have a pig who is maintaining his weight, there's a good chance he's both a healthy pig and a content pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.