Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Subcutaneous Injections - (Fluids)

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My 4 1/2 year old guinea pig (Mandy) has had kidney problem for 2 years and now she has to be given Subcutaneous injections (fluids). Has any one done this on their own or have they gone to the vet every time then need it. We were showed how to do it BUT being show when we were upset we didn't take it all it..So Monday we are going back to get the tech to show us again. If so, do the guinea pigs get used to the needle?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i know it's not the same thing exactly but i used to have to give my dog sub-q injections 1x week. he wasn't crazy about it, but took it like a "man". after a few times i got used to it to, tho i never really liked it. it's good that you have the tech show you. make sure s/he watches while you do it yourself a couple of times (maybe not on a live pig tho!). and while you're there figure out a really good way to hold your pig during the process.

i'd think ahead about whatever "routine" you're going to use. when trimming my pigs teeth (they have LWS) i try to make sure to do it at a time of day when they're relaxed or sleepy. you may want to give your pig lap time before or after, and then mayer their veggies after as a treat.

they'll pick upon your emotions, so do your best to be calm and confident.

good luck! keep us posted about how it goes

PooksiedAnimals

Cavy Slave
There are a decent set of instructions on GL: https://www.guinealynx.info/subcue.html

Bertie has been a drag! Five days into it, she finally stopped crying the whole time I was injecting her. I keep nicking blood vessels with her, which freaks me out, because that very rarely happened with Willow. Bertie is finally starting to get the routine, though, which is making it a lot less stressful for the two of us! Just keep reminding yourself it does get less stressful.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
No, they don't really get used to the needle, but it isn't overly traumatic for them, either. Be sure to warm the injection (I hold the filled syringe under warm tap water for two minutes, then test on my arm) first and do be prepared for how tough a guinea pig's skin is. You really have to punch the needle through, which is different than any other animal I've done an injection on so it's a little scary. If they give you a choice at the vet clinic, I'd not recommend getting syringes that are any smaller than a 23 gauge because in my experience they are big enough to get through the skin without much issue and can still push the fluid pretty quickly, as opposed to a smaller gauge, which you'll struggle to poke through the skin and then it'll take forever to push the fluid. Personally, I prefer a 19 or 21 gauge because they are very easy to insert and pushing up to 60 mL at a time doesn't take too long.

I had to give subQ injections of an antibiotic and foolishly thought I could use a 31 g insulin syringe - it wouldn't even poke through the skin, but trying left both me AND the poor pig traumatized.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.