Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Can they chew on Wood Branches?

So I have a couple of wood ball chews but my girls don't seem to really use them. I have a feeling it was because they smell like Reese and Hershey. I had heard somewhere that I could take some branches off my trees outside and use them for them to be able to chew on them. Is that correct? Can I break off a few twigs off the trees that we have in our yard and toss them in their cage? Would I need to let them dry out first? I know we have a peach tree, cherry tree, and maple tree. None have fertilizer or pesticides used on them. I was wondering if I could use those as a substitute till we are able to get them more wood knots.

Thanks
    Thanks
    994 Rec'd/796 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Quoted
    598 Post(s)

Re: Can they chew on Wood Branches?

Most guinea pigs will not chew on the wood toys/chews that the stores sell. They are a waste of money, in my opinion.

They can chew on branches, but usually only like fresh ones. However, the three you listed should not be fed.

Do you have any apple, pear, or willow?

Guinea pigs do not need to chew on wood. Make sure they have a good quality hay available at all times.

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

We don't have any of those. But they do have an unlimited supply of timothy hay so that is good to know.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,348 Rec'd/2,292 Posts
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    290 Post(s)

As wood goes, you don't want any branches from anything with a pit - so obviously peach and cherry branches would be out. My guys look very chewing on fresh wood - they love getting the bark off, then they're done. If you did have suitable trees, you'd need to thoroughly wash all lichen/other stuff off the branches, then bake them at 200 degrees. Some say 2 hours but I usually do 5. Not sure if it's really necessary, but it makes me feel better.

5. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," says:

Momma2000 (08-02-12)

User Tag List