Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can Guinea Pigs eat too much?

I was just wondering if it was possible to feed piggies too much? My 5 month old male ate 3 large piles of hay yesterday and I left another big pile in there overnight and when I woke up it was completely gone, plus the entire bowl of pellets was empty, plus he ate some lettuce yesterday. I read that guinea pigs typically don't overeat, so maybe he's just growing? Or do they typically eat that much?

I put some more pellets and timothy hay in there for him this morning and he's going to town on the hay, it's almost all gone!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/339 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

Re: Can Guinea Pigs eat too much?

Yes, they eat lots of hay. They need it in their cage 24/7, so you should probably put extra in there at night. It keeps their digestive system flowing and their teeth healthy.

Pigs get 1 cup of veggies daily, and 1/8-1/4 cup of timothy pellets (KMS, Oxbow, Sweet meadow) per pig.

Thanks
    Thanks
    3,743 Rec'd/2,847 Posts
    Mentioned
    1059 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1574 Post(s)

Re: Can Guinea Pigs eat too much?

Ditto Miss Jean. They can't get too much hay, but they can get too many pellets and veggies. The veggies won't hurt them, particularly, but if they eat veggies in preference to hay, their teeth won't get ground down properly, and you'll be looking at expensive vet bills.

User Tag List