Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Cleaning genitals... mineral oil or coconut oil?

Which do you prefer?

• coconut oil

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • mineral oil

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • other (please explain in post)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Which do you use? I'm mostly asking because I'm going to need something (I think) after lightning gets neutered today. Thanks for the input!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
No mineral oil/paraffin. It acts like a thick layer that never gets absorbed by the skin. It prevents the skin from breathing or getting moisturized, and could create skin conditions like eczema. It also creates an addiction for the skin that creates less needed oils on it's own. Same thing goes with children of course when it comes to common "baby oils".
Mineral oil is the byproduct of distilled gasoline, synthetically produced & it cannot spoil. Yum, sounds healthy right? It clogs up the pores, preventing the skin from breathing. It then slows down cell renewal in the skin, causing increased risks of skin disorders. It's not properly absorbed & will need harsh sulfates to fully remove it.

The small amount that gets absorbed through much difficulty of out largest breathing organ, the skin or mucus membranes, will pass through the liver & collect the fat soluble vitamins, essentially stealing them.

Use virgin coconut oil, or another light runny vegetable oil. Don't forget to test for allergies behind the pig's ear.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I don't know about the oils, but good luck with the neutering! Hopefully it will all go smoothly.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
If you want to use anything on the wound itself, use pure aloe vera gel (without parabens & added crap) as it has healing & antibacterial properties. We often focus on keeping the wound as clean & dry as possible, when the skin & scar tissue in reality also needs more moisture for faster healing.

After my female's spay, the wound completely closed up within 5 days. I believe it was partially because of aloe vera, the vet had never seen such a nicely closed scar.

Last edited:

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
According to GL, for sack cleaning mineral oil. I use it for both penis and sack cleaning. Coconut oil needs to be washed away and I have found personally that it gets kinda sticky and tacky after a while. I have also found the mineral oil works better to break up any gunk. Coconut oil works AMAZING for grease gland though. Still it needs to be washed off.

One of the uses for mineral oil is skin issues. Coconut oil is great but I don't know how well it would work for anal sack cleaning.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
According to GL, for sack cleaning mineral oil. I use it for both penis and sack cleaning. Coconut o il needs to be washed away and I have found personally that it gets kinda sticky and tacky after a while. I have also found the mineral oil works better to break up any gunk. Coconut oil works AMAZING for grease gland though. Still it needs to be washed off.

One of the uses for mineral oil is skin issues. Coconut oil is great but I don't know how well it would work for anal sack cleaning.

That it's adviced does not take away the risks of using it, there are no health properties of mineral oil what so ever. It does nothing for skin issues, the reason it's commonly used is because it's cheap as a byproduct, and it doesn't spoil. Originally used as a mechanical lubricant.

We see a large change in care products now luckily, where the use of paraffinum liquidum is reduced. Unfortunately still marketed directly to infants. I would never put it on any part of my animal.

Mineral Oil and Why You Should Avoid It

charliespet

Cavy Slave
Has anyone tried grape seed oil?

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I've personally used it for years on myself and my kids with no ill effect. But like everything in life there will be something negative told about it. If it was so horrible I doubt GuineaLynx would suggest/recommend it.

https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

"Mineral oil, warm water soaks and/or flushes, and Q-tips work well for this procedure. "
"This can be worked out using liberal amounts of mineral oil to release the edges of the plug without tearing the skin - this takes time and a lot of patience."
"The pictures followed a general cleaning (removing hair and other debris, no impaction issues) with mineral oil, which gives the sac a wet appearance. "

ASPCA | Ear Care (dog care but I wanted to add other sources with animal care with mineral oil)

"If your dog’s inner ears appear dirty, clean them with a cotton ball dampened with mineral oil, hydrogen peroxide or a solution formulated specifically for this purpose. Inner-ear skin is delicate, so allow your vet to demonstrate the proper method for cleaning your dog’s ears. "

Also: Mineral Oil (Canada) Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

Yes the site your posted and other "natural therapy" sites state it should not be used but at the same time other sites and vet sites say it should. I think the best option is to do what you have researched as the best option. Call your vet to get more information if needed. If coconut oil works for you, go for it. But I have done my own research on the topic and have tried both methods. For me Mineral oil will be my first choice.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
No mineral oil/paraffin. It acts like a thick layer that never gets absorbed by the skin. It prevents the skin from breathing or getting moisturized, and could create skin conditions like eczema. It also creates an addiction for the skin that creates less needed oils on it's own. Same thing goes with children of course when it comes to common "baby oils".
Mineral oil is the byproduct of distilled gasoline, synthetically produced & it cannot spoil. Yum, sounds healthy right? It clogs up the pores, preventing the skin from breathing. It then slows down cell renewal in the skin, causing increased risks of skin disorders. It's not properly absorbed & will need harsh sulfates to fully remove it.

The small amount that gets absorbed through much difficulty of out largest breathing organ, the skin or mucus membranes, will pass through the liver & collect the fat soluble vitamins, essentially stealing them.

Use virgin coconut oil, or another light runny vegetable oil. Don't forget to test for allergies behind the pig's ear.

I'm sorry, but no.

Mineral oil is too large and heavy to penetrate the pore The very fact it doesn't absorb is what what makes it non-comedogenic.

Coconut oil is actually one of the more highly pore-clogging oils you can buy. You can email this lady for the source of the research, as this is a poorly put together website.
(broken link removed)

Certain oils, waxes, fatty alcohols, and silicones that don't absorb are in a product to prevent moisture loss in the skin/hair. In fact, that's the main reason aloe vera is so effective. It's a moisture barrier. Well moisturized skin heals more efficiently.

But anyways, we're talking about guinea pigs that don't get acne as far as I'm aware. There are differing opinions on whether or not Mineral oil is toxic or not. Without research to reference, I can't say.

I think I'd just inquire to the vet on what kind of ointment/ cream you should be tending the wound with. Perhaps that information is also on Guinea Lynx somewhere...

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, but no.

Mineral oil is too large and heavy to penetrate the pore The very fact it doesn't absorb is what what makes it non-comedogenic.

Coconut oil is actually one of the more highly pore-clogging oils you can buy. You can email this lady for the source of the research, as this is a poorly put together website.
(broken link removed)

Certain oils, waxes, fatty alcohols, and silicones that don't absorb are in a product to prevent moisture loss in the skin/hair. In fact, that's the main reason aloe vera is so effective. It's a moisture barrier. Well moisturized skin heals more efficiently.

But anyways, we're talking about guinea pigs that don't get acne as far as I'm aware. There are differing opinions on whether or not Mineral oil is toxic or not. Without research to reference, I can't say.

I think I'd just inquire to the vet on what kind of ointment/ cream you should be tending the wound with. Perhaps that information is also on Guinea Lynx somewhere...

No, the molecules of both coconut oil & wax oils like jojoba oil are often used to PREVENT acne, coconut oil also have small enough molecules to penetrate hair. Slab some mineral oil on your face, and it will lay like a silicone film over the pores, essentially clogging them & aggravating acne. While it acts like a humectant similarly to aloe Vera & honey, mineral oil requires harsh SLS to ever be able to remove it from the skin/hair. Humectants can lock moisture in, but if you don't remove the mineral oil fully - it will lock moisture OUT, keeping the film over sensitive mucus membranes.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would love to read some medical or scientific researched references on that [MENTION=16791]HannibalLecter[/MENTION], research reading is a pass time of mine.

Honestly, I doubt the small amount used in sack cleaning can be compared to "slabbing" some on your face.
I have to agree with MissJean though.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I agree with Han... Mineral oil is not as good as you people think. Sure it may appear to help with some of your skin and other ailments but only because its a step up from watery traditional lotions filled with parfums and fragrances. Generally fragrance products are more annoying to skin conditions so it seems like it fixes the problem but not the long term cellular damage.

Guinealynx is in the process of reviewing data and updating medical info all the time and one of the things they want to change is the mineral oil to coconut oil. Up until several months ago there wasn't well known substitute for mineral oil. Some of us debated about this subject before and because of my debate on the subject Lynx changed this part of the site to include coconut oil:

https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#grease_gland

"Apply Neosporin, hold your guinea pig for 10-15 minutes (to prevent him or her from ingesting it) then remove antibiotic ointment with dishwashing detergent.
Cetaphil cleanser is more effective than other listed alternatives for one Guinea Lynx member.
Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil has worked extremely well for another member. This product reportedly has ani-fungal properties and can be found on the internet."

Its not a HUGE step but the fact that its there in addtion and that its under advisement by Lynx and other members that is a red flag that it might not be as safe as we hoped.

The point, as the next generation of pet owners, is to always keep our minds open for changes for the better in animal care. Some people still veneomously argue that seeds and nuts are not good for guinea pigs. With so many products out there that don't have them its getting harder and harder to argue with. Pretty soon this will be the same thing with petro based cleaning/personal care products. It will go the way of leaded gas and lead paint. Just please keep your minds open for the better product!

Last edited by a moderator:

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Sorry about the stupid text stuff! Ugg right after I post on this site lately my IE whatever comes across a problem and needs to close so I lose the chance to edit my posts. Plus I put that seeds and nuts are good not arn't good. Piggies are NOT supposed to have seeds and nuts but people always argue with me that seeds and nuts are good. Yes they are very healthy and yummy but not for piggies! lol

So here is the correction:

https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#grease_gland

"Apply Neosporin, hold your guinea pig for 10-15 minutes (to prevent him or her from ingesting it) then remove antibiotic ointment with dishwashing detergent.

Cetaphil cleanser is more effective than other listed alternatives for one Guinea Lynx member.

extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil has worked extremely well for another member. This product reportedly has ani-fungal properties and can be found on the internet."

Its not a HUGE step but the fact that its there in addtion and that its under advisement by Lynx and other members that is a red flag that it might not be as safe as we hoped.

The point, as the next generation of pet owners, is to always keep our minds open for changes for the better in animal care. "Some people still veneomously argue that seeds and nuts are good for guinea pigs." With so many products out there that don't have them, its now finally getting harder and harder to argue with. Pretty soon this will be the same thing with petro based cleaning/personal care products. It will go the way of leaded gas and lead paint. Just please keep your minds open for the better product!

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Lightning came out of his surgery just fine, I got him home and into his cage about half an hour ago. He hopped right into his kitchen (which I'm thinking I should probably take out for a few days so he doesn't strain himself) to pancake out and chew on his hay! It was so cute but the minute he saw my camera he jumped out and gave me a dirty look!! He seems to be a grumpy pig - I'm not sure if it's the drugs or the lack of testicles or just my perception due to feeling guilty.

The vet said don't put ANYTHING on it unless it gets inflamed and then I'm supposed to call for instructions. So for now I'm leaving it alone. Thanks for the info though! I think I'm going to try the cetaphil on his grease gland because he really disliked me scrubbing with the dawn and supposedly you don't have to scrub so much with the Cetaphil.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
This conversation reminded me of a rumor I heard some time back (not too far distant) that mineral oil actually dissolves tissue over time. Everything I was able to determine at the time indicated that there are pros and cons to both, and ultimately neither is of much effect for the purpose of cleaning guinea pig genitalia. Although, I will say, I use straight KY Jelly for the weekly cleaning now but have used both products for anal sac, penis and grease gland issues.

I think the overriding consideration here, rather than dismissing one or the other as bad, is the notion of forward thinking so that we're providing the best we possibly can for our pets. That it is listed in GL doesn't mean it's the absolute end-all of the discussion. There is a lot of information out there, especially pertaining to guinea pigs, that's outdated and unfortunately there's not any single source that we can refer to as the be-all for up-to-date knowledge on the topic of guinea pigs, just like anything else. Keeping an open mind is the best advice I found in the thread.

As for the neuter, [MENTION=22316]schavarry[/MENTION], I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier in the day because I could have told you not to put anything on the wound - the most important thing is keeping it clean and clear so that it can heal. I'm glad to hear he made it through surgery and seems to be on the mend! He might be grumpy, the anesthesia does seem to dope them out sometimes. One thing you might want to do is provide a heating pat or Snuggle Safe - animals recovering from surgery can have a hard time retaining body heat.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
As for the neuter, @schavarry , I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier in the day because I could have told you not to put anything on the wound - the most important thing is keeping it clean and clear so that it can heal. I'm glad to hear he made it through surgery and seems to be on the mend! He might be grumpy, the anesthesia does seem to dope them out sometimes. One thing you might want to do is provide a heating pat or Snuggle Safe - animals recovering from surgery can have a hard time retaining body heat.

Thanks for the info Paula!! I hope he'll be warm enough tonight because I don't have a heating pad that is OK for a piggy - the ones I use are flax seed filled flannel but I don't trust Lightning not to chew on it, so I'll go in search of one tomorrow!!

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Ha! I was just reading through this thinking "Hmmm I use KY Jelly, should I switch to coconut oil?" And then I read Paula's post, yay! Mineral oil seemed counter intuitive to me so that's why I went with good ol' KY :) Funny thing is, if I accidentally leave it out and company comes over...awkward!!!

[MENTION=22316]schavarry[/MENTION] - glad to hear the neuter went well! I wish Lightning a speedy recovery :)

[MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION] - great idea about the heating pad, I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense!

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Ha! I was just reading through this thinking "Hmmm I use KY Jelly, should I switch to coconut oil?" And then I read Paula's post, yay! Mineral oil seemed counter intuitive to me so that's why I went with good ol' KY :) Funny thing is, if I accidentally leave it out and company comes over...awkward!!!
lol! That's hilarious!!

OK - Now that he's neutered, do I need to do all this cleaning??

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Lubricants sound like a really good idea.
But I'd be careful the KY brand, as it does contain glycol which is a common irritant, as well as parabens, and glycerine which can leave a sticky residue & trigger thrush if used by us women, don't know if that also applies to pigs.

I would use the YES brand. Organic with lovely ingredients. Can even be used for dry mucus membranes. Not tested on animals.
Organic Personal Lubricants | Natural Lubricants | Organic Sexual Lubricants | Fertility Friendly Lubricant

Yes® water-based ingredients:

Aqua (Water), Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera)*, Cyamopsis tetragonolobus (Guar Gum)*, Ceratonia siliqua (Locust Bean Gum)*, Linum usitatissimum (Flax extract)*, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Potassium sorbate, Phenoxyethanol
*Organically grown ingredients

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Lubricants sound like a really good idea.
But I'd be careful the KY brand, as it does contain glycol which is a common irritant, as well as parabens, and glycerine which can leave a sticky residue & trigger thrush if used by us women, don't know if that also applies to pigs.

I would use the YES brand. Organic with lovely ingredients. Can even be used for dry mucus membranes. Not tested on animals.
Organic Personal Lubricants | Natural Lubricants | Organic Sexual Lubricants | Fertility Friendly Lubricant

Yes® water-based ingredients:

Aqua (Water), Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera)*, Cyamopsis tetragonolobus (Guar Gum)*, Ceratonia siliqua (Locust Bean Gum)*, Linum usitatissimum (Flax extract)*, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Potassium sorbate, Phenoxyethanol
*Organically grown ingredients

Wow - this looks good, I'll probably switch to this for the cleaning when my other runs out. The paraben thing is crazy and in everything it seems, so this is great! Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.