Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Potty Pads-- How Smelly, Is TOO Smelly?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

To make things easier for the daily spot clean, I have made several "Potty Pads" in which I place around the cage's high traffic areas-- Under hay mangers, hidey houses-- and I have a question or 2.

Well, I spot clean once every day usually around the halfway point in the day or a bit after.

Usually their pads smell good after they have been washed, and that lasts for about 2 days after. I clean the cage on Friday, so by Monday, they have the Piggy smell to them.

I was just curious as to when I should replace the pads with fresh ones? I absolutely CAN do this-- I have extra.

I just don't think that the second I smell Piggy pee on them that I should worry too much. So what should I use as a marker for how much of a smell is too much? Are there any signs that you use, or should I just do at least 1 switch no matter what throughout the week?

Thank you guys so much! I appreciate it!

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
I have many what I call 'pee pads' seeded all over the run that I change daily. It works, no 'piggy smell'!:D

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I use pre-made potty pads from Cobb Cabin. I actually don't need to change them daily since they're so absorbent, but I do run my hands over things to make sure it's all dry.

Are your pads just made of fleece or do they have some other material in the center? I think you'd be the best judge of how often to change them anyhow.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Obviously if it's wet I'd change it. If it looks dirty change it. If I could smell the piggy pee I'd change it but that's just me because I want to eliminate the smell.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would just change it daily personally. I have some pads for high traffic areas and I change them out daily. I made some double sided ones and I just flip them.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all of the replies guys!

What will flipping them do [MENTION=18169]MissJean[/MENTION]? Eliminate odor or what? And I use Fleece and U-Haul Pad combos for liners. What do you mean that you change them each day? Like you just flip them and you get 2 days worth?

I don't have an infinite amount of these things to use, but I can make about 4 more.

Isawilson65

Cavy Slave
I change mine every 1-2 days. It doesnt get bad since I have a kitchen that they do most of their potty needs. I change my kitchen once a week. I use wood pellets in my kitchen.

macysmom

Cavy Slave
I used my scrap fleece and uhaul pads after making my cage liners. I made "pillow cases" sewed on three sides out of the fleece and just cut squares of uhalul pads to fit in them. I use them mostly in hidies because I have a separate kitchen w/bedding. I can put them in and flip them over the second or third day, then when both sides have been used I toss them in the wash. I also do the touch test, if its damp then it comes out.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I used my scrap fleece and uhaul pads after making my cage liners. I made "pillow cases" sewed on three sides out of the fleece and just cut squares of uhalul pads to fit in them. I use them mostly in hidies because I have a separate kitchen w/bedding. I can put them in and flip them over the second or third day, then when both sides have been used I toss them in the wash. I also do the touch test, if its damp then it comes out.

Thanks!

But what does flipping them really do, honestly?

macysmom

Cavy Slave
I use 2 layers of uhaul pad in the fleece pillow cases just like I do w/my liner. Its the same wicking and drying effect.

macysmom

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.