Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: What breed is my rabbit?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 13, 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What breed is my rabbit?

    Hey I just got my pet rabbit today and I was wondering what specific breed it was? The pet store employee said he was a dwarf but doesn't know the exact dwarf breed. Also, could it be a mix of a dwarf and a normal size rabbit? It looks kinda big to be just a dwarf rabbit. Here's a close up picture (left) and a picture to give you a gist on how big it is (right).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	63750 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	28988 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	28989

    I was thinking it was a mix of a Jersey wooley?
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-56LontroN-8/Tork3dBbAhI/AAAAAAAAA9c/VHn_FSOQr3Y/s1600/Jersey_Wooly.jpg
    c
    ause Shiro (my rabbit) has similar ears and fur?


    Other information:
    -It is 6 weeks old right now
    -Shiro's a male
    -I got him today
    -He's still getting used to his new home
    -He kinda poops everywhere but sometimes in his litter box where his hay is
    -He doesn't know how to jump on that platform with the dark blue fleece yet (Which leads to the second floor)







  2. #2
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 27, 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    303
    Thanks
    29
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/36 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

    Re: What breed is my rabbit?

    I'm not sure of his breed, but his pattern looks kind of like Bubba's which I believe is called "broken."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01189.jpg 
Views:	1011 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	28991

    I'm not entirely sure what breed Bubba is either, but I think he's a lionhead because he has a fluffy face like the lionhead's do.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01215.jpg 
Views:	1241 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	28992

    Shiro doesn't have a fluffy face but he has a fluffy butt. I'm guessing he's mixed with something. Possibly the Jersey wooly like you suggested.

    Good luck with your new bunny! They are a ton of work, but they make amazing pets!

  3. "Thank you, emeraldamykate, for this useful post," says:

    Eswardfordaween (06-20-12)

  4. #3
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 13, 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What breed is my rabbit?

    Thanks emeraldamykate! They actually do have the same fur "pattern" so it could be a possibility but just different colors. And thanks!

  5. #4
    Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 13, 2011
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    4,683
    Thanks
    593
    Thanks
    1,094 Rec'd/794 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    No he's not a Jersey Wooly or any angora mix. His hair is too short.

    Ear length is one way to determine breed but it isn't the best way. A rabbit born in a hot summer, for example, would have larger ears than a rabbit born in the winter.

    Without getting my hands on him it is just too hard to say. He looks big for 6 weeks. A dwarf rabbit should be between 3 and 5 lbs, if this guy really is 6 weeks old (and I'm kind of doubting that based on the pics) he's going to be closer to 7-10 lbs.

    His color looks like a broken steel which basically means he is a gray and white spotted rabbit. Almost all rabbit breeds have this color variety.

    How big is your cage? It looks like a 2x2? It should be at least 2 grids wide and at least 3 hops long as an adult sized rabbit. Probably anywhere between 3-5 grids. It should also be at least 2 grids high.

    He will need to be fixed around 4-6 months old. So get a vet lined up. Once he's fixed look into adopting him a girl friend. Go through a rescue bonding bunnies can be very, very, trying.

    Going back to breed... He's probably a Netherlands Dwarf mixes as most breeders "make" their dwarf mixes with NDs.

  6. #5
    Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 13, 2011
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    4,683
    Thanks
    593
    Thanks
    1,094 Rec'd/794 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Emreldamykate - your bunny is most likely a lion head or a lion head cross. His color looks like broken red. Again almost all rabbit breeds have this color.

    The spot pattern is just the way rabbits are spotted. You'll find that pattern no matter what the breed. Even the long haired ones.

  7. #6
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 27, 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    303
    Thanks
    29
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/36 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

    Re: What breed is my rabbit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inle_Rabbit View Post
    Emreldamykate - your bunny is most likely a lion head or a lion head cross. His color looks like broken red. Again almost all rabbit breeds have this color.

    The spot pattern is just the way rabbits are spotted. You'll find that pattern no matter what the breed. Even the long haired ones.
    Ooh! Thank you! I knew he had some lion head in him!
    I always thought the term for the spots was "broken."
    I guess you really do learn something every day.

    Wait- you said it was called broken. Oops.
    I guess the thing I learned today was to read things more carefully before responding.

  8. #7
    Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 13, 2011
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    4,683
    Thanks
    593
    Thanks
    1,094 Rec'd/794 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Yep all spotted rabbits are called broken then the color they are broken with. Like your rabbit has red spots so he's a broken red.

  9. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 13, 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What breed is my rabbit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inle_Rabbit View Post
    No he's not a Jersey Wooly or any angora mix. His hair is too short.

    Ear length is one way to determine breed but it isn't the best way. A rabbit born in a hot summer, for example, would have larger ears than a rabbit born in the winter.

    Without getting my hands on him it is just too hard to say. He looks big for 6 weeks. A dwarf rabbit should be between 3 and 5 lbs, if this guy really is 6 weeks old (and I'm kind of doubting that based on the pics) he's going to be closer to 7-10 lbs.

    His color looks like a broken steel which basically means he is a gray and white spotted rabbit. Almost all rabbit breeds have this color variety.

    How big is your cage? It looks like a 2x2? It should be at least 2 grids wide and at least 3 hops long as an adult sized rabbit. Probably anywhere between 3-5 grids. It should also be at least 2 grids high.

    He will need to be fixed around 4-6 months old. So get a vet lined up. Once he's fixed look into adopting him a girl friend. Go through a rescue bonding bunnies can be very, very, trying.

    Going back to breed... He's probably a Netherlands Dwarf mixes as most breeders "make" their dwarf mixes with NDs.
    Thanks for the advice! The employees said it was about 6 weeks old, but how old do you think it is? Cause I've been following a baby's diet (unlimited pellets, unlimited hay, no veggies, treats) and I don't want to give him the wrong diet. He has a 2x2 cage and will be free ranged in my room once he gets comfortable the first few days. Also thanks for the breed answer.

    I have another question!
    So since he's still trying to get comfy with his new home how many days should I give him to get comfy? I've read that you're supposed to give it a few days and leave it alone till their comfy and then you can start handling/gaining trust/bond with them?

  10. #9
    Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 13, 2011
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    4,683
    Thanks
    593
    Thanks
    1,094 Rec'd/794 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    I can't tell from the pictures how old he is for sure. He just doesn't have that "baby" look that 6 week old rabbits have. If the bunny really is a boy he will drop his testis around 4 months old. Then you will really know about how old he is.

    You can start petting him and talking nice to him. Rabbits don't generally like to be picked up but you should start to get him use to it for vet trips and such.

    I have a lot more links on care and cages but I'm on my phone right now, I'll post back later with more info.

  11. "Thank you, Inle_Rabbit, for this useful post," says:

    Eswardfordaween (06-21-12)

  12. #10
    Banned
    Joined
    Nov 02, 2011
    Posts
    509
    Thanks
    28
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

    Re: What breed is my rabbit?

    I don't know rabbits at all. But- he is adorable!!!!! So cute!

  13. #11
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 13, 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lol thank you!

  14. #12
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 13, 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inle_Rabbit View Post
    I can't tell from the pictures how old he is for sure. He just doesn't have that "baby" look that 6 week old rabbits have. If the bunny really is a boy he will drop his testis around 4 months old. Then you will really know about how old he is.

    You can start petting him and talking nice to him. Rabbits don't generally like to be picked up but you should start to get him use to it for vet trips and such.

    I have a lot more links on care and cages but I'm on my phone right now, I'll post back later with more info.
    Shiro kinda looks a little over a "baby" and more like a "toddler" I would say. Do you think it would help if I gave you a face picture of him? Well I'm pretty sure your right and it's not 6 weeks old. I can't believe those employees lied!

    Oh and yes, links would be helpful. I'll still keep him on unlimited pellets hay and on a baby's diet till he's 6 months.

  15. #13
    Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 13, 2011
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    4,683
    Thanks
    593
    Thanks
    1,094 Rec'd/794 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

    Re: What breed is my rabbit?

    First you are going to need to get your rabbit fixed once he is old enough. Males can spray smelly urine all the way across a room if not fixed. Females are more territorial than males and are actually more likely to fight with each other than males. Fixed rabbits will be much happier with each other than intact animals and much better pets. Fixing a rabbit changes a lot of those unwanted bunny behaviors like sent marking, humping, spraying, aggression, female cycles, etc.

    Check out this video to see how to sex rabbits. Pet stores are normally not known for their abilities in this department:



    Once your bunny is fixed and healed you should get him a friend. Rabbits, like guinea pigs, crave the attention of their own species. Your rabbit will be much happier with a rabbit friend. Rabbits tend to do better with the opposite sex, but not always. I have had very closely bonded male/male pairs before. It would be best to go to a rescue and have them help pair your rabbit with a buddy. Rabbits are much trickier to pair than guinea pigs ever could be. I promise!

    This is one of my favorite cages for rabbits. Easy to make and does NOT cost 200 dollars like the guy says. I spent about 60 on mine. Use 3/4" plywood when making the cage because it will not bow and does not need extra support. (not even grid support if you use lots of zip-ties!)



    RWFA has a great video on outdoor hutches and more information on their website. It’s not recommended to keep rabbits outside though but it is fun to let them run around outside in a safe environment. (A Hutch is Not Enough - Rabbit Welfare Assocation & Fund (RWAF))



    This is the House Rabbit Society page which is awesome. The rabbits are going to need toys to keep them happy. Lots of cat toys are good for bunnies, mine loved toys with bells and things they could pick up and throw around. Some dog toys are good too if the rabbits are big enough. Then of course there are bunny toys and ferret toys. All good for bunnies =D

    Bunny will need to be litter trained. (FAQ: Litter Training) A good litter for bunnies is wood pellets or yesterdays news since they don't get stuck to their bunny fur and aren’t usually kicked out.

    There is so much more to say but a good place to start is the House Rabbit Society. If you have any more questions while looking around there please ask!

  16. "Thank you, Inle_Rabbit, for this useful post," says:

    Eswardfordaween (06-21-12)

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •