Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Male guinea Pigs- White stuff in butt

Hershandmoch

Cavy Slave
I have a question; I have two about 1 year old males and I have noticed that they have white gooey stuff in their but is this normal or should I seek vet care.. They seem to peeing, pooping, eating and drinking normally. There is no white stuff in their cage or on their poop.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you might be referring to "boar glue". Does it get pretty solid/ hard after a little bit or stay the same consistency?

If it does get hard, I would say it's the boar glue. Sometimes it can create a sort of plug that definitely needs to be removed. Mineral oil can be used to soften it up a little. I've heard of someone using Grape Seed Oil too, not too sute about that one though.
That's one of the many pleasures of living with male guinea pigs. They love to show who's boss and get their stuff everywhere [at least at my house, ew].

It might be a little awkward, but a picture never hurt if you're able to get one.

Hershandmoch

Cavy Slave
It stays the same consistency. I have heard it may be normal or it may be excess calicum, but I am not sure.

Hershandmoch

Cavy Slave
I couldn't get any pictures of my pigges they are not very corperative but I found this on goole images and it looks like this:

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I couldn't get any pictures of my pigges they are not very corperative but I found this on goole images and it looks like this:

LOL. That is my Charlie's butt. Forgot I had taken that pic.
He no longer has that substance in his bottom. It was thick, sorta oily, and smelled horrible.
I started cleaning his bottom soon after that with qtips and light mineral oil. Charlie had all sorts of poo issues, but the cleanings took care of that gunk.

Glad Charlie's bum pic could be of benefit to someone.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
It's smegma. It's sebum, exfoliated skin cells, moisture. It's a common thing for mammals to have that on their nether bits. I'd link a wikipedia page, but it has a certain sexual organ picture on it. Mineral oil and q-tips cleans it right up. Oil dissolves oil.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
LOL. That is my Charlie's butt. Forgot I had taken that pic.
He no longer has that substance in his bottom. It was thick, sorta oily, and smelled horrible.
I started cleaning his bottom soon after that with qtips and light mineral oil. Charlie had all sorts of poo issues, but the cleanings took care of that gunk.

Glad Charlie's bum pic could be of benefit to someone.
AMazing thing the internet. Makes the world even smaller!

Hershandmoch

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you everyone looks like I have some weekly bum cleaning ahead of me, but since i just stared cleaning them on wed I think I might wait till wed to do it agian because I don't want to cause any irration and other than that and the usual bedding getting in their no other problems, they eat, drink, pooping, peeing, and moving around normal even went to give them some hay for dinner time ( i give mien timothy hay atleast twice a day in a hay loft) so they pretty much have hay 24/7 and they started popcorning. Haha the joys of having piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.