Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Liners

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Hi all,
I have been looking into making fleece Liners for Ginger's cage. However, I have a few questions.

1) What do you guys use under the fleece?

2) How do you layer?

3) How often do you wash them? I currently just have one piggie.

4) How do you make them with the sides going over the coroplast sides?

5) How do you use them for the ramp?

6) How do you cut them for the upper level? It is a 2x1, and her main level is a 2x3.

Just to get an idea, here is her cage:

GetAttachment-4.aspx.jpeg

Her ramp:

GetAttachment-8.aspx.jpeg

And the loft:

GetAttachment-6.aspx.jpeg

Thanks for the help!

P.S. These were taken a few days ago, right before I spot-cleaned. Sorry for the mess and she has more things in there now, like her cozy sack, cuddle cup, veggies, etc. :)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
1) What do you guys use under the fleece?
I use 2 layers of Uhaul pads as recommended here. You could probably get away with 1 layer, since you only have 1 pig. I sewed an envelope made out of old sheets that I had prepared the same as the fleece (wash 3x in hot water with vinegar rinses), and put the Uhaul pads inside. I sewed the open end shut, and just took a needle and thread-down from the top, over a few threads, and up from the bottom. Knotted on top. Stops the pads from shifting inside the envelope, and the envelope prevents the Uhaul pads from falling apart in the wash.

2) How do you layer?
Fleece, 2 layers U haul pad in an envelope made from old sheets. I don't sew my Uhaul envelope to the fleece.

3) How often do you wash them? I currently just have one piggie.
Every week I change out everything, and wipe the coroplast with vinegar water, wether it's wet or not.

4) How do you make them with the sides going over the coroplast sides?
I looked a the tutorial, and that isn't the way I did it. I layed my fleece inside the coroplast, and folded and pinned the corners so I would know where to sew. I sewed up the corners, cut off the excess (I ended up with a triangle of fabric), and just folded it up and over the coroplast sides.

5) How do you use them for the ramp?
I don't have a ramp, but if the ramp is moveable, I would just sew a tube of material, and slide it up the ramp from the bottom. You could use a piece of velcro to hold it in place, or use binder clips on the edges. Someone else might have a better reply here.

6) How do you cut them for the upper level? It is a 2x1, and her main level is a 2x3.
The same as the botom, but since most use the upper level as a kitchen, I think i would use carefresh there.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
1) I have 2 Uhaul pads, but they are folded so I could probably put 2 layers in each liner. I don't get the whole envelope thing...? lol Oh, and this part: "I sewed the open end shut, and just took a needle and thread-down from the top, over a few threads, and up from the bottom. Knotted on top." P.S. I plan to use a sewing machine.

2) Why wouldn't you sew the Uhaul envelope to the fleece? Isn't that the point of the liner? Oh, and would it be okay to layer fleece, 2 layers of Uhaul pad, then another pattern fleece, to make it reversible?

3) Okay, that's what I do already anyways.

4) Whhhaaaaattt? lol

5) Okay :p

6) Ya, I am thinking about using wood pellets up there, but they seem to be out of season right now. I'll figure it out. :)

Thanks!!

arionat799

Cavy Slave

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Thanks, but I have no idea how to do these. lol Do you know of anyone who sells them with the edges?

I just ordered some from Penny Gig Designs by PennyGigDesigns on Etsy but she hasn't listed any new ones since my order - you might try messaging her to see if she will make some for you.

https://www.etsy.com/people/Cavyness
also makes them. Again they're not listed but you should be able to message her on etsy and see if she will make a custom listing for you.
(broken link removed) also makes them but they're a little more expensive.

Let me know if you need anything else...

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I just ordered some from Penny Gig Designs by PennyGigDesigns on Etsy but she hasn't listed any new ones since my order - you might try messaging her to see if she will make some for you.

also makes them. Again they're not listed but you should be able to message her on etsy and see if she will make a custom listing for you.

Thanks! Just checked them out, however I think I may just make my own. According to the directions above it looks pretty easy.

MissJean

Cavy Slave

Penny Gig Designs may not list any until mid-may. She's busy with school right now. She said she *might* cave and post more before that, though. It's good to add her to Facebook if you have one for updates on this.

Cobb Cabin Crafts on Etsy also sells great liners, but a bit more pricey than Penny Gig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.