Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Pellets in NZ

manda2paran

Cavy Slave
NZ peeps, which brand of pellets do you feed your piggies? I'm having a hard time looking for really good ones. The pellets that I've seen so far are always mixed with seeds and grains, and other artificial looking junk. The plain pellets are mostly not hay-based. I've had a look at the ingredients list (especially at the stuff sold at animates) and the main ingredients are "barleymeal, peameal, wheat middlings, soybean hulls" to name a few.

I think the closest to hay-based pellets that we can find here are lucerne, but that's alfalfa, and from what I've read, it's only good for babies and pregnant/lactating sows.

I thought about probably ordering bulk online, but then with NZ's strict importing laws, I don't think this will be possible.

melissa98

Cavy Slave
I can't find anything good either! Everything's alfalfa based... :(

Skylarnz

Cavy Slave
Hi the best pellets I could find is LM Animal Farms Bonanza Gourmet Diet Guinea Pig Food. It is alfalfa based but does have timothy hay as well. I know its not a great food but I think it must be better than the junk food they sell as rabbit/guinea pig food! We can't get the good stuff from the US and Oxbow AU would sell to us here (not sure about that now, I checked about a year ago) but postage was too much....it was $150 per 12 kgs and that did not include the pellet price!! No real demand here....everyone seems to be happy to feed rabbit food! :(

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Where can you buy the LM Bonanza food? Would they have it at Animates?

Skylarnz

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) (sorry I see the link did not work.....if you are interested I will try and get the right one for you)

You can read the replies I got when I asked about pellets before. I was told to rather feed veggies only instead of the bad pellets. That is an option. I don't think I have seen that brand at Animates, they only sell their own brand, Kaytee and Vitakraft. You can find Bonanza online but they are also not the cheapest! What pellets are you using now? Where do you get your hay from? From Animates? I am having a hard time to get nice hay. Have you found something for your cage yet?

melissa98

Cavy Slave
I haven't gotten my guinea pigs yet... I'm getting them in about 3 weeks! :)
So I haven't yet bought any hay or pellets because I'm not sure which ones to get. I think I'll probably get my hay from Four Seasons Pets which is in the St John's area. Here's the website: (broken link removed) Although it might just be the same quality as Animates :confused: The cage... I'm still working on! lol

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Has anyone found good pellets to feed them yet?

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Not me :sad:

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Naw, what stuff do you feed your piggys?

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Haven't gotten them yet... I'm getting them in about 1.5 weeks! :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Aww! Do you know what one/s you're getting?

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Nah, I'm still looking. I can't seem to find anything decent :(

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I know the feeling! Right now I'm feeding my pigs mostly vege with a bit of a mix of two brought food product but just can't find anything good.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
OMG!! I think I found a way we can get Some Oxbow Pellets for our piggys!
Order of (broken link removed).

Just Contact them:

https://oxbowaustralia.com/contact-us/ (Contact Us | Oxbow Australia)

And I think we might be able to order it online. I HOPE SO!!!!!

kananaka

Cavy Slave

Just Contact them:

Just because I am nosy I clicked your link and found they do have 3 retail places in NZ New Zealand | Oxbow Australia .

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Yea, but they don't sell Pellets or hay. I did check that out, I wish they did though be so much easier.

Skylarnz

Cavy Slave

Just Contact them:

HI RodentCuddles
I have already tried that....they will send to us but postage is nuts!! I phoned Oxbow in OZ and they quoted me $145 dollars for postage only and that was for 12kgs of pellets.....pellets was an extra on top of that.....unless you have lots of money it works out way to much! I must add that I checked on this about a year ago and it doesnt hurt to check out again.
We don't get anything else that is good I tried a couple of online people and all said they only stock what they have and will not bring in anything new unless they have high demand as they need to bring in a good couple of pallets at a time. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything!!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
HI RodentCuddles
I have already tried that....they will send to us but postage is nuts!! I phoned Oxbow in OZ and they quoted me $145 dollars for postage only and that was for 12kgs of pellets.....pellets was an extra on top of that.....unless you have lots of money it works out way to much! I must add that I checked on this about a year ago and it doesnt hurt to check out again.
We don't get anything else that is good I tried a couple of online people and all said they only stock what they have and will not bring in anything new unless they have high demand as they need to bring in a good couple of pallets at a time. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything!!

Wow, The postage is nuts!! I'll try them just in case, I can't believe how much the postage is. If not I will go to both of the Vet Clinics in Auckland and ask them if they could seeing as they already stock the Stocks Critical Care for Herbivores (syringe feeding formula).

What do you feed your piggys? I wanna get my pigs the best that I can.
Thanks

Skylarnz

Cavy Slave
Hi
I already phoned all the vets that stock the Oxbow critical and none will stock the other stuff....very sad.....yes postage was nuts but that was the cheapest she told me.......give them a try again and see.....maybe they found a better way to get it here....

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Wow I just did a net search for Guinea pig food in NZ, there was not much that came up at all.... WOW! Is there a pet store chain maybe that will order for you guys?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.