Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Can pigs catch human flu or cold from us?

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Greetings all

Before I "pig up", as my husband calls lap time, I was wondering if guinea pigs can catch colds or flu from us humans? I saw in another thread that a sick vet did not want to make an appointment to see a pig, as he didn't want to give it the flu...

Last edited:

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
No, it can't be transmitted for humans to pets.

Of course, it wouldn't be a good idea to handle them if you are gonna get sick while holding them. :D

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I *have* heard that bacterial bronchitus can be passed to pigs. Most cases of bronchitus are caused by a virus,though. At least according to wikipedia.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
My Vet said they couldn't catch a human cold or flu. I was at my Vet thurday, when i took our 3 lil girls in for a check up and for coconut and her URI !! I asked her if they could..she said no. but they can catch it from another animal that is sick. She said they can also catch what it know as a Kennel cough...( that is if pigs are cage with others animals that are sickin in the same room). But as for a human cold/flu...No..!! But i agree with the others, u still really wouldn't want to hold them for long with a cold..!! Cause honestly u just Never know..!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.