Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Waterproofing materials?

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, I make soft cage accessories for piggies. I recently put some cosy sacks on ebay (ones like in the picture). Someone has contacted me asking if I could incorporate a waterproof layer into the sack as they just want to use it for lap time (not keep it in their cage) and want to protect laps/sofas from pee!

Snuggle sacks 001.jpg

I know some people make waterproof lap pads and the like, so I wondered if anyone could advise me on what kind of waterproof material works well when it is sewn into an item with cotton fleece and wadding. I had a look at some sites eg waterproof fabric light weight - but the terms mean nothing to me and I want to be sure I pick a safe material and one that will sew easily.

Could anyone help me?

-Sarah

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Check here: (broken link removed)

It's commonly used for babies bedding and cloth diaper covers, so it must sew and wash well enough. It's with the "utility" fabrics in the store.

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
@Petlovr posted what I was going to suggest already. They have a ton of adorable fabrics which may allow you to launch a whole line of waterproof lap things :)

Edited to say: I noticed you're in the UK, but I think Joann's might ship internationally!

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Thank you this seems to be perfect for the job! I'm sure I'll be able to find a UK site so I can get my hands on it quickly xD I was thinking of sewing it in on the inside (so you wouldn't be able to see it). Do you think it will work sewn in with the cotton, so that from the inside of the sack outwards it would go fleece, wadding, waterproofing, cotton?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
It should work fine. I lined my toddlers backpack with pul. Awesome stuff! You may want to read up on some sewing techniques for it, some times it can be a bit tricky as the shinny side sticks to the pressure foot.

rubypig

Cavy Slave
Hi Sarah I'm British living abroad so I know what's available in the UK. you can get plactic table covers that are sold off the role and cut to what size you need so you get the length you want but the width is usually 1.5 meters or so. I know you can get a clear no color one that's basically invisible unless the light hits it, it's around 1mm think so completely flexible but very durable! You can sew through it but I would do a wide stitch to leave a good GAO between each stitch otherwise it would break away at the stitch. It's completely water proof and washable at the lowest temp but not tumble drying. It's also very cheap, just can't remember where it's sold but homeware stores like Pearsons etc and places like that might have it. I would sew under the top layer like you said so the indie is as cushy as possible.

Hope that helps, you can also try waterproof clothing fabrics but there not usually 100% waterproof unless maybe if you could find the stuff they line under some picnic blankets.

Last edited:

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Hi thanks for the advice! Whats GAO standing for? My brain isn't working too well today after spending 5 hours working on my dissertation xD

rubypig

Cavy Slave
Your welcome, GAO was what my iPad decided to change 'gap' in to lollll :0))) they have a mind of they're own, I should give my iPad a name!!!

rubypig

Cavy Slave
I forgot to ask how much you sell them for? A link to eBay? Maybe I could have my family in the UK bring one over for me in the near future! What else do you make? Anyway i can see the other things?

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Oh I thought it might have been that but then I wasn't sure why it was in capitals xD I sell the sacks for £9 (the cotton is v. expensive but I don't think there is enough cute designs out there xD).

Heres a link to my ebay: loveyourpiggie | eBay
I have just started making hidey huts too, there is pictures of my first attempt and other items on my flickr - Flickr: SarahPiggies' Photostream

I can ship worldwide :D

rubypig

Cavy Slave
They are all gorgeous! Is there metal wire in then openings? They seem to keep they're form very very well!

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
They are all gorgeous! Is there metal wire in then openings? They seem to keep they're form very very well!

Thank you :cheerful: No I use boning - it has thin rods of polyester woven together. I know people can be wary about plastic-y materials in these items but I sew it up in fleece before inserting it, and even then it is beneath a layer of wadding and fleece - theres no chance of it becoming exposed, and the openings feel more like foam because of all the layers :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.