Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

U haul pads

grace505

Cavy Slave
I haven't sewn my liners, but am really interested in doing so... We do have a sewing machine, but I am wondering if there is a special kind of needle needed to sew through all of those layers? The U Haul pads are pretty thick, so I wasn't sure of it. I'm not really very good at the whole sewing thing at all, haha.

I just used a regular heavy duty needle. They have three general sizes, lightweight, regular and heavy duty. Look at the needle you currently have, some are round at the top (not the pointy end) and some have a flat side. You'll need to get the same kind as that, but other than that i would just do regular or heavy duty. Check out the tutorials on making piggie comforters and good luck!!

grace505

Cavy Slave
It's probably best if I just purchase them which was my first intention. I thought if it were fairly easy, I could save some money.

Thanks...

No problem. On the tutorials they made sides for the comforter that go up and over the sides. I just made mine flat, if that would help, i just cut them several inches wider on each side so they would for sure cover the bottom. I figured if they decided they wanted to chew the coro i could add them on, but lucky for me (surprise!!) they don't eat the coro. Sometimes, considering time, supplies, time and effort, yes, i put time twice!, it's really worth it to buy them, it really depends. Time is money too!!

JadeRenee

Cavy Slave
I just used a regular heavy duty needle. They have three general sizes, lightweight, regular and heavy duty. Look at the needle you currently have, some are round at the top (not the pointy end) and some have a flat side. You'll need to get the same kind as that, but other than that i would just do regular or heavy duty. Check out the tutorials on making piggie comforters and good luck!!

Thanks for the information. I'm definitely going to be trying this very soon!

JadeRenee

Cavy Slave
JadeRenee.......don't be afraid to try making the cage liners. They are by far the easiest of the cage accessories to make......far easier than a cuddle cup. I don't recommend trying to sew more than three layers: two layers of fleece and one of uHaul pad. I recommend an 18 needle or look for one labeled for denim. As an aside, I measured a cage liner incorrectly and it was too narrow for the cage. I literally spent most of the afternoon yesterday trying to add a piece onto it, and by 9pm last night, gave up and tossed the thing in the trash! It was still too narrow and the machine had failed when trying to sew those extra layers of fleece and uHaul padding. If you make a mistake on the pad for the main level, either cut it down for the upper level (if you have one) or cut it into smaller sections for extra pads where there is a lot of activity.

One additional suggestion for cuddle cups. I just cut out some extra large ones and I find they don't hold their shape. Best to stick with a diameter of 10" or less. Above all, have fun and be creative!

I have some liners that I cut to fit my cage already and just want to sew them, so I'm hoping that I can just figure that part out, haha. Thank you for the information! And I really want to make some extra pads to place under water bottles and other high traffic areas. I'm glad I kept all my scraps. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll attempt to sew one and just see how it goes!

grace505

Cavy Slave
JadeRenee, you can always use a seam ripper to undo it if you sew it wrong! :) Good luck!!

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
Omg... I finally realize what you guys mean by uhaul pads! I am new to the forum and in Australia... I thought they were some kind of heavy duty puppy pad that was somehow re-useable... Durrrrrrrrr... I've never heard of using these... I use newspaper and towels and fleece... And it does get a bit stinky in the piggies room towards the end of the week... So these really cut out the stink? I might try and contact a removals company and see if they sell their blankets...

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the link for the Uhaul furniture pads!!!!! I purchased two beautiful girls and their C&C cage with piggie bed spreads from a wonderful woman a few months ago. Since they were the same age (about 3 years) I thought if I got another one that was younger, there would always be a companion in the cage and no piggie would even have to be alone. Found out the 3rd one I adopted was pregnant.

So now I have 6 piggies, 4 girls and two boys. Since the piggie bed spread are so expensive, I've been using layers of towels underneath fleece in the quarantine cage where the mom and babies have been living. The biggest issue, I'm allergic to guinea pig urine. So, when the towels get damp (I change/wash them every 3 days or so) I get hives. Can't use bedding, because when I change it out, it makes my asthma worse (discovered that from the litter boxes in their kitchens). So, I decided that I wanted to make my own. The only problem is that the Zorb and things like it are so expensive. Fortunately I stumbled onto this thread and found that link. Now, I have 4 uhaul blankets on their way here!

Sorry for the hijacking, but I have to separate out the boys on Monday (they'll be 21 days old on that day, they were born July 2) and I have been getting everything I need to build them their own cage. This is the BEST forum in the world. It has been such a huge help for me and my herd. :)

angie901

Cavy Slave
I'm just saying hi.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.