Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Is Petco Softwood Bedding Safe?

Roo99

Cavy Slave
Hello there, Roo here.

I am getting my new pigs this Saturday, but as I haven't gotten supplies yet (the rescue just confirmed this last night, so please don't tell me I'm a bad owner. Thanks!)

Anyway, I went to Petco and bought a corner litterbox, 48 ounces of hay, and softwood bedding for the litterbox. I did not realize until I got home that what I thought had only said spruce and fir shavings also said pine.

Now, I know that pine is not good for pigs and can cause URIs. So, I read the package furiously, looking to see if the pine was kiln dried. Here is what the package says:

"Planet PETCO Small Animal Softwood Bedding shavings are triple screened to leave no dust for easier habitat cleaning and a healthier pet. Biodegradable shavings are naturally absorbent and help to control odor with no scent or aromatic oils. Planet PETCO small animal softwood bedding shavings can also be used a a base for odor control in cat litter boxes, bird litter, dog beds, dog kennels and horse stalls."

"Made using reclaimed wood from the housing industry."

"Planet PETCO Small Animal softwood bedding is made from natural and reclaimed wood. You can feel confident about your purchase, knowing that you are helping your pet and your environment."

"Planet PETCO provides you with healthy options that are free of harsh, toxic chemicals as well as artificial colors and flavors, which can detract from your pets quality of life. Independent lab tests and strict standards allow us all to breathe deeper, knowing that your pets are our top priority."

Looking at the guinea pigs in that store, I really find it hard to believe that pets are their top priority. (Just my opinion, you can have yours)

So, I called customer service to see if the pine shavings were kiln dried. I was referred to the number of my local store. I called there, and the clerk who had checked me out about 15 minutes before said that he had no idea if it was kiln dried or not. He said that I could bring it back to the store and get a 15% discount from the shavings that they use in their tanks for the store's guinea pigs. That wasn't real reassuring, considering that 3 pigs were housed in 2 square feet of cage space. I said, "thanks but no thanks" on that one.

So, is triple screened pine OK for piggies, or should I skip the softwood shavings and opt for a paper based litter? Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
We have a bag of their softwood and paper mix bedding, but not for the guinea pigs. It seems okay but the gliders don't walk in it or anything. I am wondering why it sounds like they don't use their own brand of shavings in their stores for their guinea pigs...

Roo99

Cavy Slave
We have a bag of their softwood and paper mix bedding, but not for the guinea pigs. It seems okay but the gliders don't walk in it or anything. I am wondering why it sounds like they don't use their own brand of shavings in their stores for their guinea pigs...

Yes, it is quite ironic. You'd think that they would use their own brand of shavings...

I'm just worried about URIs. It is only for a litterbox, so I guess I'll try it out. If I see any signs of a URI, I will stop using it right away. It says it is dust and aromatic oil free, and isn't it the aromatic oils and dust that cause problems?

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
I believe that's what I've read.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the pine isn't kiln-dried, it will have a pine odor to it. If you can't smell any pine, it's probably ok.

Roo99

Cavy Slave
Just smells like shavings to me. However, I found out that wood used in the housing industry is kiln dried before it is used. Since this is former housing wood, it is kiln dried. So, it should be okay for piggies.

Thank you to everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.