Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay can i store hay in the garage?

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
i got a huge bale of bermuda hay today and i dont have a big enough box to put it in, so can i put it in the garage on one of those storage grid shelves? i have cats in the garage will that affect the guinea pigs if some of their hair get in it or something? no one smokes in there and currently no cars are parked in there but if there were to be a car parked in there would that be a problem? thanks

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I am sadly not sure if you can put the hay in the garage. It doesn't seem like a good idea considering you have cats in there.

And, DEFINITELY do not have a car in there. The exhaust fumes will contaminate the hay. It would be the same thing as plucking hay next to an industrial factory.

Really, though, we have been over this with you, you need to make sure the hay is quality and you have enough room for it BEFORE you buy it. I have never heard of "Bermuda" hay.

thevultureslove

Cavy Slave
I would try to avoid it as hay can attract bugs, moths seem to mostly be attracted to it for me, and the hay might spoil. As garages tend to be easy access for bugs, I'd try to find a container as soon as you can.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
why does it matter if youve heard of it? ive already looked it up and bermuda is supposed to be even better than timothy. i didnt know how much the feed store would have and we were going to see if they had a box.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
any ideas on where to find big boxes? i have boxes but itd take a million to store this.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can absolutely put hay in the garage. I live in Houston, where humidity is a huge problem, along with every pest you can imagine. I've stored my hay in the garage for 2.5 years with absolutely no problems at all, and not a single bug that I've ever seen in it.

You need a container that the air can circulate in, and that's about all.

Zuidy and thevultureslove, please refrain from giving advice that you know nothing about. Car fumes will do absolutely nothing to hay. Hay does not spoil unless it gets damp.

Bermuda is a grass hay, and as such, is fine for pigs. However, it is grown usually along the US gulf coast, and tends not to be as good quality a hay as timothy grown in the northern tier of states.

You can buy boxes of almost any size from U-Haul or any moving company.

thevultureslove

Cavy Slave
Well you can buy boxes at really any home store. I just have a rubbermaid bin that I keep my hay in.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
any ideas on where to find big boxes? i have boxes but itd take a million to store this.

Post office. Department store. Etc..

Also, please don't get into tatters about this. Is Bermuda the same thing as grass?

Well, I believe no hay is better than Timothy and others can think that if they want or not.

Either way, you REALLY need to start thinking about these things in advance. You can't put the hay in the garage, and you don't have boxes to put them in.

Good luck, anyway!

thevultureslove

Cavy Slave
I was just trying to say to find a container. I had kept some hay in the plastic baggies they come in from the store in a sun room once and bugs got in it. I was worried the bugs contaminated it and threw it out, I didn't want Sl and S to have the same experience.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
i just looked at a chart and its more nutritional and has lower calcium
(broken link removed)and the moderator of this forum just said a garage was fine so dont jump on someone if you dont know what you're talking about.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
i just looked at a chart and its more nutritional and has lower calcium
(broken link removed)and the moderator of this forum just said a garage was fine so dont jump on someone if you dont know what you're talking about.

You are over reacting. Nobody was jumping on you. And, everybody makes mistakes.

Although, I read about my information in a Guinea Pig book.

Scintie

Cavy Slave
You are over reacting. Nobody was jumping on you. And, everybody makes mistakes.

Although, I read about my information in a Guinea Pig book.

Guinea Pig books were written by human beings. They can also have false information in them.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
anyway can i put it in the garage not in anything until i can get a box or laundry hamper? no more than a couple of days

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
where do i poke the holes in the box? getting a box tomorrow if its ok to leave it in the garage

Last edited:

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I keep my hay in the garage as well, I also live in Texas. Hay is traditionally stored in barns so a garage is not that far off. Just buy a big box from a uhaul or other moving store or ask for a fridge box on Freecycle.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
yea im getting a box tomorrow but will it be ok if its not in a box for one night in the garage?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
It will be fine.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
ok thanks! oh and so i dont have to start yet another thread would it be better to quarentine a guinea pig for 2 or 3 weeks? im asking bc my current one has been without a friend and i really want her to be more confident and be able to run around the cage and not be depressed.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Quarentine for 3 weeks unless you get the newbie from a really good guinea pig rescue. It's good you are getting her a buddy they do much better with friends. =D

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
S and S, I thought you had two! Squirrel and Skunk. Did something happen? :eek:hmy:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.