Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Is this recipe okay?

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Hello! I love to bake and give my (rather picky) guinea pigs new snacks to try. I came across this recipe online today and wanted to know if you all thought it would be okay to feed them.
Recipe-

(How to Make Home Made Guinea Pig Treats (with pictures) - wikiHow)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 cups Oxbow or Kleenmama's guinea pig pellets, or other small guinea pig food
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 6 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons honey
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that honey isn't good for guinea pigs, but I can't remember. If it is, would I be able to substitute something for honey? Or is this recipe not good for them?

Thank you!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Absolutely not, guinea pigs should never be fed anything with flour, and added sugar/honey is really unnecessary & unhealthy in the long run.

A snack for a guinea pig is occasional fruit in limited amounts, their favorite vegetable or some tasty herbs.

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks for clearing things up! I didn't think it sounded very healthy for them, but just wanted to make sure. I do give them a wide variety of fruits, veggies, and herbs (only the ones that are listed as okay for them) but they seem to only like grapes and carrots, as well as basil and oregano.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
It's more appealing for us humans to feed treats similar to foods we ourselves enjoy, or those pet store treats in funky shapes. But it's a lot better to just stick to healthy fresh foods, both for the pig & your wallet. :)

On a side note, I'm known for sometimes purchasing pet store treats I find cute, but never actually feeding them. I love those hamster treats in teddy bear shapes!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Just out of curiosity: what's wrong with flour? Other than no nutrition?
I know honey carries bacteria, sugar is never a good idea, and oil can cause diarrhea...

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Just out of curiosity: what's wrong with flour? Other than no nutrition?
I know honey carries bacteria, sugar is never a good idea, and oil can cause diarrhea...

Most pigs are sensitive to gluten, and feeding it could lead to allergies with bloat & pain as a reaction. There is also no reason to feed it, it's equivalent to junk food. This also includes corn flour. You don't want it in treats or pellets.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
of course the other scarey thing is that some unsuspecting guinea pig owner out there has found the same recipe, and is making these treats, thinking they're ok. :eye-poppi it's soooo important to be smart about internet stuff, like you were petlovr, and check things out with the experts like those here o this site! :cheerful:

Delaine

Cavy Slave
If you have the urge to do something extra for your piggies, maybe try growing wheat grass or some other kind of grass for a treat. I have done both, and although the wheat grows very fast, I find it tends to mold at the soil. I am having better luck with the lawn grass in pots, but it takes a lot longer to grow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.