Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Few questions

sarah0712

Cavy Slave
I have been reading through some of these fleece threads and just have a few more questions.

I am thinking of swapping from woodshavings to fleece and was thinking of one layer of fleece, one layer of towels and maybe on layer of newspaper. However, I'm concerned about the smell as I don't really want to be full cleaning out any more often than I already do (once a week).

I was also looking at these: (broken link removed)Are they worth it and more effective than just fleece and towels?

Any help would be great :)

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
I don't really have experience with fleece-but I have learned a lot from being on here. I have read a lot that the fleece to wick away the urine down to a layer of towels is good. The newspaper, might have harmful dyes and whatnot in it, and I don't think it's good for them to eat. I've also read that you would clean off the top of the fleece fairly often (for the poops) and wash the towels about once a week. Having never used this system I can't tell you anything about how it smells in real life :eek:ptimist:

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
I use fleece over 2 layers of uhaul pads or 2 layers of towels. I change the cage out once a week. I haven't noticed a smell at all. The fleece stays dry and the uhaul pads or towels absorb the urine. I scoop out poops at least once a day. I also have a seperate kitchen area that I use carefresh in. They do most of their pooping and peeing in this area. I change this out twice a week, not because of the smell but because I don't want them sitting in it. In their sleeping area I do have a "pillow" I made with fleece, 2 layers of towels, and another layer of fleece. They sleep on this so they tend to poop and pee on this too. I like having the little pillow because it makes it very easy to change it out when it gets soiled.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Forget the newspaper -- it smells really awful really quick. You'd do better with two layers of towels under the fleece.

z123carleigh

Cavy Slave
I used to use towels under fleece, but I recently sewed a couple cage liners from fleece and an old mattress pad. I much prefer having the bedding all in one piece. It's super easy to just shake out and throw in the washing machine. Also far easier to put back in the cage, especially if you have multiple stories. You don't have to mess with the towels, and arrange and clip the fleece in place. Also, my piggies like to burrow, but they won't do it with the pads. So, if you can afford it, I would recommend buying the cage liners. They are really easy to make too, it's just frightfully boring.

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
I have fleece liners and absolutely love them. The larger your cage the less likely it is to start smelling quickly. Once a week I change out the liner in my 3x5 cage. After a week it hasn't started smelling yet, it's just easier to clean it every weekend so I stay on a schedule.

AZ Crafty Crew is actually shipping me my new liner and accessories tomorrow. I'm very excited about them coming in.

LauraK

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and aspen bedding. I sewed my own fleece pads with a mattress pad in between and use two stacked in the main portion of their cage so it's soft. I put up a little "wall" (same height as the sides) of coroplast with a cutout into their kitchen, and they usually just poop and pee in the aspen bedding, which I change every other day. I got lucky in that my girls don't usually pee on the fleece- I just scoop the poops off the fleece. Just thought I would give you my two cents- because I would NOT be using fleece if they peed all over it! My system works really well for my girls, Nora and Willow :) Good luck with everything!

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
I know the people you linked. A friend bought one of their cage liners. It's actually very thin, so the smell starts pretty quickly. I make them myself, but use an extra layer of absorbent material. In my own cage, they last about a week before getting smelly. You do have to clean up daily, though.

One layer of fleece and two layers of towels, I've found, is best.

Kieri

Cavy Slave
my pigs' cage is made of interlocking mats, towels, and fleece.

i place 2 layers of towels onto the mats, then i lay fleece on top of it. the cage is large enough that i only need to change it every 5-7 days and i don't even notice any odors by the end of the week.

of course, if you have a smaller cage you will have to change it out every 2-4 days, depending on the amount of poop/urine your piggy produces. i changed my pigs' old cage every 2 days.

i definitely prefer fleece though. it's WAY easier to clean, it's inexpensive, it doesn't make my pigs smell, and it's softer and safer for my pigs. the only downside is if you don't clean it as needed, you will notice an odor and it'll get worse and worse each day you don't clean it- however, the same goes for regular bedding, so you might as well go with fleece.

sarah0712

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone.

Just one more question, is polar fleece or anti pill better?

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone.

Just one more question, is polar fleece or anti pill better?

In my experience Blizzard fleece is the best, but if you only have access to these two types I would go with the anti-pill fleece.

juldga

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x3 c&c cage. 1x2 of it is the kitchen area where they do most of their business and that s a box with wood pellets. the 2x2 section is one bath towel covered with a piece of fleece. I bought my fleece at walmart for $3 per yard. I clean the cage every 10 days with no maintenance in between

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.