Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Guinea pig in my backyard. will he make it? and advice on catching

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
I noticed a guinea pig in my backyard today. He/she hides in a rather big juniper bush and looks fat and clean so I think he is new to the 'wild'. He comes out and munches on the grass and we took him some chopped celery he devoured. We tried to catch him but he ran back in the bush and squeaked at us. We are expecting snow tonight or tomorrow but the temperature is below freezing. We've set a cardboard box with some wood shavings (the stuff you put in rabbit cages) in it, a bowl of food and water. We tried to chase him out of the juniper bushes but that stuff is thick and he just squeaked at us anyway. Little dude knows we can't get in there!

So my questions are, do you think this little guy/gal will survive the night?
What temperatures can they withstand?
If he's still there tomorrow and we still can't catch him, would you suggest anything else to help him stay warm or encourage him into the box? He really checked it out today but as of sunset, he had still not went in there.

And what advice do you have for catching him?
I've read putting some slices of tomato will really entice him and maybe if placed at the back of a long box we can tip it up when/if he goes in?

Thanks so much for your help!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I'm not sure if he will make it in the cold, snow, outside alone. If you have some thick gloves (work or ski gloves) you could just grab him. He most likely can not bite through those, though he will probably scream bloody murder. Do you have a few people who could help you scare him out of there? Maybe use a broom to push him in the direction of a box or cloth bag or something? What about a fishing or butterfly net? Could you net him and just pull him out from under the bush? Guinea pigs really aren't fighters, it shouldn't be too hard to drag him to safety if you can get to him.

You really need to catch him. He probably will not survive the night. What about a guinea pig rescue in your area that could help catch him? Someone may know of one in your area if you give us the closest large city.

ChristieB

Cavy Slave
do you have a pet crate? When our piggies are out and I put the crate out with towel and hay and food in there they run right in and I can close the door. I'd leave the crate right next to the bushand try to scurry or bribe him in there. I don't think any animal should be out in freezing temps.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Have you tried apple?
Do you think if you put apple in a box filled with fleece he would go in it tonight?
Getting him in a box would be a great of of catching him as well.
Carrots and apple seem to be the most motivating things for my boys.
Maybe it would work on this one.
I pray that it does. i can't imagine it being out in the element. He has survived this long. Hopefully the blessing will continue till you are able to capture it.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Did you catch the guinea pig? Have a gameplan yet? I hope he's ok!

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
no reaching in, the juniper bush is too dense. I wish I could, I would. I'm not overly worried about getting bit. I'm about to cut an apple and go see if the little guy/girl might come around now that it's VERY cold. I'll let ya'll know what happens.

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
oh, and I live in Mountain Home, Idaho. Boise is nearest, Twin Falls is next nearest. Any rescue help would be more than appreciated!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have nothing to add but best wishes and hope that you will catch that poor piggie soon! Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

KD006

Cavy Slave
A couple of thoughts, along with a box with food & bedding you might try a lure of heat, I used to put a 50 watt bulb in a metal gallon paint can to keep my ducklings warm when the got moved to the porch after I could no longer stand the stench of duck poo inside the house. Alternatly there are those chemical handwarmers that last for hours and could be wrapped up in a towel. Maybe if it senced some warmer spot that the bush it might be tempted to relocate so you could catch it.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Can you get a net under the bush? If you don't have one, make one really quick with a broom handle, a wire close hanger, a nylon stocking or old t-shirt and some duct tape. Just catch the little dude in the net. Maybe use some veggies to lure him to a spot that easier to catch him?

Here is a tutorial on a butterfly net as an idea: Homemade Butterfly Net from Little Birdie Secrets | Skip To My Lou

Edit: here is another tutorial, skip the sewing just use duct tape: ... nets for butterflies and other friendly insects - imaginechildhood.com | Blog

MaddyMaddy

Cavy Slave
I'm crossing my fingers for the little guy/girl! I hope you can save im'! All my good thoughts are with you! :love:

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
ok, so we went through that bush as best as possible. It's very dense with thick branches low to the ground and it's pretty wide. We poked a broom all through it, my husband walked into it and separated the branches as much as possible and we didn't see and more importantly we didn't hear him. I checked all around our back yard and didn't find him hiding anywhere. I'm going to put my heating pad into the box with the wood chips and hope the heat lures the little one in, as it was suggested to do and then hope and pray for the best and go back to my search when the sun comes up. I'll try to attach a picture of the little guy/gal and the bush behind him is what we are up against. 0116021059.jpg0116021059A.jpg

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Poor little guinea pig. I hope you find him alive and well in the morning. =(

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I doubt I'll be able to sleep much knowing he might still be out there and I might be able to save him if I just go look one or two more times, so I'll be checking for him through the night. I can't, in good conscience, go to sleep in my nice warm bed all snuggled up to my husband knowing he's out there freezing all alone. So yeah, I'll keep on checking.

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
When my pig got under a bush, we had to cut away a lot of the bush and pull him out using gloves. You can often try 'herding' him or flushing him out. Make noise on one side of the bush and stomp around, stay on the sides, and when he darts out to escape, grab him!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Do hope you can get him. Waiting for a good report.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Can you put a box out with an old blanket in it? If you use a box with flaps you can put it on its side and have only the bottom flap open.
I wonder how long he has been out there? Do you think he got away from a neighbor? He looks so clean in the picture.
I pray an owl or some other bird of prey does not get him.

I hope you are able to get him. Or at least put things out tonight to keep him safe.

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
no cutting the bush, we're in a rental. I would if it were my house. I plan to clean it out real well tomorrow. We did try to 'herd' him earlier but he stayed in his spot and just squeaked. He came out about 15 minutes after we came in. I sat on that rock wall too and tried to wait for him but once again, he didn't come out until after I went in. We actually have apartments behind our house, I wonder if he didn't get away from there, I posted an ad on craigslist about him. I've checked a few times, still no sign of him. I've stopped checking the box though, hoping if he is in there, he will stay in there and be warm.

Kim, 37040 sounds familiar. Does 37042 or 37043 ring a bell? We've lived in all 3 and actually still own a house in one! :) I'm loving Idaho but Tennessee was home and there just ain't no place like home!

I will definitely keep this updated for everyone.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
What about possibly scaring him out of the bush? It seems like your backyard is fenced, so he is going towards that area because he feels most safe. Maybe if you can get him to come out of one side someone can throw a blanket over the top of him, and you can catch him.

Please keep us updated, this is such a bad situation. I can say though that this is a tiny better than it being the middle of summer. Guinea pigs are big balls of fat with fur all over their bodies, so they can withstand some cold weather... I hope the little guy huddles into your make shift home next to the warmer.

The next thing I would do is contact animal control to see if they have any humane cat traps. Once the GP went into the one side, it would close and he would be captured inside. Sometimes they let you borrow/rent them.

I hope you can get him :(

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Kim, 37040 sounds familiar. Does 37042 or 37043 ring a bell? We've lived in all 3 and actually still own a house in one! :) I'm loving Idaho but Tennessee was home and there just ain't no place like home!

Yes, I actually live in 37043. 37040 and 37043 are both zip codes in Clarksville, TN. I'm originally from Bama but have been in TN 10 years now (5 in Knoxville and 5 here).

Really hope you find the piggy. I bet he has a story to tell!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.