Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet How do I trim my piggy's nails without him freaking?

guineapiggymom

Cavy Slave
Okay, I only did this once in the four months that I've had him. Quincy tolerated the front feet very well, but when it came to his back feet there was a lot of nipping and teeth chatter. How can I trim his back feet with out making him nervous?

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I find that a small assortment of veggies will keep my pigs' mouthes occupied while I clip their nails solo. I let them stand on a small animal bed and while they munch, I just gently lift their paws and start clipping.

zaylea

Cavy Slave
If you can, I'd suggest making nail clipping a two person effort. When I clip their nails, I have my boyfriend hold the pig's back against his chest with one hand, and then use his other hand to support the bottom. I clip the back feet first, and then the front feet.

You might be able to do it this way by yourself, if you use your lap or a table to support his bottom.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I always cut my boy's nails solo.
I hold them against my chest with one hand and work the clippers with the other. Surprising my boys are pretty agreeable to the process. But I always give them a treat afterwards.
It is harder with Charlie and George because they have dark nails.
Here's a video of the last time I clipped Charlie's nails to let you see how I hold them while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppVaoszjB4&feature=youtu.be

LoveMySnickers

Cavy Slave
Nail Clipping is also a two person effort at my house. I am the carrot feeder/holder and my husband clips. My boys don't seem to care as long as they're busy munching on a treat.

Saecula

Cavy Slave
I don't even need to hold mine tight..When I do the clipping I keep them on my lap rather like lap time, have the round small clipper with me, and barely lift the paw a fingerwidth high. Just be sure to have enough light to see what's going on, hold the nail in the clipper before it actually gets clipped and only make the move of clipping when he's relaxed. That way I notice even my biter gets clipped easily without him even trying to nip. I do tend to clip more often, as some nails grow quicker than the other, but the process gets very short and more like lap time than actual care. :)

KD006

Cavy Slave
I do nail clipping and ear cleaning every two weeks, so it saves money and trips to the vet.

Don't want to hijack the thread but perhaps you could start another spy9doc on ear cleaning I had not even thought of that since I have had birds the past 15 or so years.

Kristin

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.