Thread: How do I trim my piggy's nails without him freaking?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

How do I trim my piggy's nails without him freaking?

Okay, I only did this once in the four months that I've had him. Quincy tolerated the front feet very well, but when it came to his back feet there was a lot of nipping and teeth chatter. How can I trim his back feet with out making him nervous?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Re: How do I trim my piggy's nails without him freaking?

For me, I takes two people to cut nails.

One person holds and cumforts the pig while the other cuts the nails. You can also do things do distract the pigs, my pigs love veggies so when it's nail trimming time, they get a nice veggie salad.

One of my pigs is a biter. I have to were gloves when I cut his nails, so my hand doesn't get chewed.

Good Luck!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    298 Rec'd/242 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

I find that a small assortment of veggies will keep my pigs' mouthes occupied while I clip their nails solo. I let them stand on a small animal bed and while they munch, I just gently lift their paws and start clipping.

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

If you can, I'd suggest making nail clipping a two person effort. When I clip their nails, I have my boyfriend hold the pig's back against his chest with one hand, and then use his other hand to support the bottom. I clip the back feet first, and then the front feet.

You might be able to do it this way by yourself, if you use your lap or a table to support his bottom.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

I always cut my boy's nails solo.
    I hold them against my chest with one hand and work the clippers with the other. Surprising my boys are pretty agreeable to the process. But I always give them a treat afterwards.
    It is harder with Charlie and George because they have dark nails.
    Here's a video of the last time I clipped Charlie's nails to let you see how I hold them while doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppVaoszjB4&feature=youtu.be

6. "Thank you, Kim37040, for this useful post," says:

Hhbean (01-12-12)

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Nail Clipping is also a two person effort at my house. I am the carrot feeder/holder and my husband clips. My boys don't seem to care as long as they're busy munching on a treat.

Thanks
    Thanks
    996 Rec'd/797 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Quoted
    600 Post(s)

Have you read this yet?
    http://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    611 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    564 Post(s)

Cutting piggy nails probably sounds more complicated than it actually is. I recall that Pinky and I have similar techniques. I have always cut my boys' nails (past tense.....only have one now) and it gets easier each time you do it. Plus, as my boy gets older, he struggles less and it goes much faster. I have used both people clippers and the little round kitten scissors and like the kitten scissors better because they cut the nail without torquing it.

I roll him in a small towel like a burrito, and with him in my lap, restrain him with my left arm holding him against my body, and expose one foot at a time with my left hand to clip his nails. He hates having the back feet done, so I clip them first. I then smooth the back nails with an emery board or diamond bit that podiatrists use (and one I use on my own nails). If you are going to do the smoothing of the nails, be sure to hold that nail firmly so as not to cause pain.

The front nails go much easier and I don't bother with anything except clipping. I feel that it's more important to be accurate than fast. I'm sometimes tempted to hurry the process, but when I do, that's when I have cut them too short. You must hold your cavy very firmly and yes, good lighting, talking soothingly, stroking.........all help. I don't use food because if he's eating, he's moving more, plus I'm not inclined to use food as a bribe........but that's just me.

I do nail clipping and ear cleaning every two weeks, so it saves money and trips to the vet.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't even need to hold mine tight..When I do the clipping I keep them on my lap rather like lap time, have the round small clipper with me, and barely lift the paw a fingerwidth high. Just be sure to have enough light to see what's going on, hold the nail in the clipper before it actually gets clipped and only make the move of clipping when he's relaxed. That way I notice even my biter gets clipped easily without him even trying to nip. I do tend to clip more often, as some nails grow quicker than the other, but the process gets very short and more like lap time than actual care. :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I do nail clipping and ear cleaning every two weeks, so it saves money and trips to the vet.
    Don't want to hijack the thread but perhaps you could start another spy9doc on ear cleaning I had not even thought of that since I have had birds the past 15 or so years.

Kristin

User Tag List