Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Reusable incontinece pads/ bedpads - anyone still using them?

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
Right now I am testing out fleece bedding and have cheap mattress pads under the fleece. However, soon my piggies will be moving to a giant "bunk bed" cage, which will be the entire bottom section of a bunk bed. I can stick with the mattress pads/fleece, but I came across this reusable/incontinence bed pad and thought it might be perfect with a layer of fleece on the top: Amazon.com: Reusable / Washable waterproof bed pad 35 x 80: Health & Personal Care

It would be just the right size for the entire cage, and seems like it would be much more absorbant than the mattress pads I'm currently using. Are there quite a few of you who use the washable bed pads, and if so, how do you like them? How do they hold up? Have any of you used both the bed pads and mattress pads, and if so which did you prefer?

Thanks!

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I have only used Uhaul furniture pads under my fleece, but these look interesting. The Uhaul pads work great for me for odor control, but they shed a ton in the dryer and will eventually need replacing. If you end up using them, please let us know how it goes.

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
I'm right on the edge of ordering these! Hopefully someone can give some first hand feedback before I pull the trigger on it, otherwise I'll probably just end up ordering anyway and see how it works.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use them all the time for free time or just lap time...In fact I got some more for xmas I use the 34 * 37 (87cm * 94) mostly..I do have the have I think the same size as the on from Amazon but I find it harder to wash is the washing machine and much hard to hang dry..Summer ok but in the winter i have to hang dry from 2 big pipes in my basement..

DSC01012.jpg

And you can also see my post re free time..

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/play-areas-floor-time/67761-our-free-time.html

Attachments

DSC00953.jpg

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
I use them all the time for free time or just lap time...In fact I got some more for xmas I use the 34 * 37 (87cm * 94) mostly..I do have the have I think the same size as the on from Amazon but I find it harder to wash is the washing machine and much hard to hang dry..Summer ok but in the winter i have to hang dry from 2 big pipes in my basement..

Thanks for this info- it's good to know someone else uses this with success.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
We also use the smallest size for under our hedgehogs wheel..

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I am going to order some, thanks for letting us know about them!

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
I like these myself. We have reusable piddle pads for my dogs that I have been using under fleece for a while. I'm saving up for my piggie bedspreads.

The only thing I find with using 2 layers like that, a pad and then fleece, is that poop gets underneath the layers and it's a pain to sweep clean. Not as easy as just a all in one piece pad. But thats just me, others may find them really easy touse.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
I am going to order some, thanks for letting us know about them!

I bought mine at Waltmart and my local pharamacy.. Not amazon..

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
I currently use piggy bedspreads but those would probably work. You could use them as they are or put fleece over them. One thing you don't want to do is use the disposable bedpads ugggg they absorb like nothing.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I have never seen them this size at any of the local stores and they will cover an entire twin size bed. I bought a few so I can try them out for my grandmothers bed also!
I bought mine at Waltmart and my local pharamacy.. Not amazon..

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
I bought my twin bed size a drug store.

anydue

Cavy Slave
I bought bed pads like these at a medical supply store. They are about half the size though, so I use four of them for my 55 X 70 size cage, rather than one big one. I think that using a couple or few of the small ones rather than one large one might be easier to wash. they work great! I was using fleece, then u-haul pad, then the bed pads; then I decided that this was overkill. I now use fleece, then the bed pads, then disposable puppy pads just in case any urine leaks through. I am debating upon whether I need to use the puppy pads though, as I usually don't even have to change those out. Sometimes the urine soaks onto the far edges of the pad, then that is when the puppy pad has gotten wet.

I am still having to change the bedding about every three days though. I put cozies under their hideys, and pick up their poos two or three times a day, but even with that help, the odor is bad enough on day three that I need to change. It iis a little frustrating. I wish that the system would keep the odor at bay a little longer.

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
I have never seen them this size at any of the local stores and they will cover an entire twin size bed. I bought a few so I can try them out for my grandmothers bed also!

Well then you'll have to let us know how you like this specific one. I haven't pulled the trigger just yet...

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
I think that using a couple or few of the small ones rather than one large one might be easier to wash. they work great!

That's a good point. I *think* my washer could take it...but the weight of it in the machine might throw it off...

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
Just one thing I forgot to add is when there new, I find they hold some water after when the washing is done.. I find you have to let some of the water drain out..Or it will drip of the floor.. You can but them in the dryer but I find they don't last as long if you put them in the dryer even if you use the heat setting...

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
One thing I don;t like is that they stain..Does any know of a great stain remover that is SAVE for pets...I know they don't care but I DO.

anydue

Cavy Slave
Do you use vinegar in the water when you wash? That helps.

Tylerryan79

Cavy Slave
If these are what I think they are I hated them. I bought a twin size bed one at kohls, it was plastic backed(or something waterproof that seemed plasticky) and the cotton top part was so thin it was a joke. My fleece stayed wet and my cage stunk. the pee didn't have anywhere to go.

I now use uhaul blankets and I don't experiance any smell, the blanket folded is pretty thick and the pee goes down and away from the fleece.

anydue

Cavy Slave
I now use uhaul blankets and I don't experiance any smell, the blanket folded is pretty thick and the pee goes down and away from the fleece.

Do you put something under the uhaul blankets or is your system just fleece, uhaul blanket then coroplast?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.