Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners wondering why

KD006

Cavy Slave
I there a reason why nobody uses a fleece/fiberfill/? home made quilt/pad? It would seem to drain better and still be washable. From what I have read fleece alows uring to drain but it seems counter intuitive to put a layer of terrycloth towl right under it. I would think a fiberfill mat interliner would allow airflow and drying.

Kristin

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Not sure what you mean by fiberfill mat? Would that hold up in the washing machine? Can you post a link with a picture of what your talking about?

KD006

Cavy Slave
something like this, typical in winter coats and sleepingbags

KD006

Cavy Slave
oops no link (broken link removed)

KD006

Cavy Slave
That is the general idea like down it has air pockets, my 'thought was this would alow more drainage trapping the moisture on the lower side rather than right up beneath the fleece layer, well was only an idea, I don't even have a piece of it around to experiment with now like trying pour water through it, although as I recall from using this before it is open celled and would drain well

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I have something like that for my future attempts at making cuddle cups/sac. Not sure how well it holds up in the wash, it might all end up at one end of the large liners I use for my big cage(4x9). I have tried other fabric and have found that the 2 layers of flannel I'm currently using work great for me. I may try this idea for the smaller pads I use in their "high traffic" areas and their kitchen trays.

KD006

Cavy Slave
What I would do is cut the size of the fiberfill you want, make the covering ~ 1" larger then fold the covering and stich through both top and bottom to stablise the batting between two layer of fabric so it can not shift in the wash, could also quilt it if you can get your machine to pull a tight enough stich or would not be a chew toy or get caught on pigs nails, not sure how good the moderen machines are at that, I am used to the old cast iron Singers you could actualy adjust well.

I am by far not a seamstress but have done a lot of sewing on things like copied motorcycle seats and car seats taking note as I take them apart how they were lapped and stiched for strength. 99% of the time durability depends on at least 3 layers of fabric stiched or it will pull out, look at levies and note there are 4-5 layers on the main leg seams & double stiched.

Kristin

* Got to get me another old singer machine soon, lol I have even used a treadle from time to time, talk about 'old school'

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
You don't want to use anything with a polyester batting or filling. It won't absorb, the urine will wick through it and pool on the coroplast. You would need to use cotton batting or cotton mattress pad, etc for most efficiency.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.