Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

wondering why

I there a reason why nobody uses a fleece/fiberfill/? home made quilt/pad? It would seem to drain better and still be washable. From what I have read fleece alows uring to drain but it seems counter intuitive to put a layer of terrycloth towl right under it. I would think a fiberfill mat interliner would allow airflow and drying.

Kristin

Thanks
    Thanks
    479 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Re: wondering why

Not sure what you mean by fiberfill mat? Would that hold up in the washing machine? Can you post a link with a picture of what your talking about?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

something like this, typical in winter coats and sleepingbags

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

oops no link Poly-fil Low-Loft Bonded Polyester Batting- Full Size 81&#39&#39x96&#39&#39: batting: fabric: Shop | Joann.com

Thanks
    Thanks
    749 Rec'd/621 Posts
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Quoted
    651 Post(s)

Kristin.......I *think* I understand your question.......and it all relates to absorbability.

The idea with the fleece-pad-fleece set up is that the fleece wicks away the moisture/urine to be absorbed by the inner pad. If that inner pad is cotton, it will absorb better whether it is a cotton mattress pad or recycled denim u-Haul blanket. The idea is to wick the moisture away from the cavies.

I use a poly fiberfill from JoAnn's (both fusible and non) in my cozy sacks, cuddle cups, and tunnels. My boy doesn't seem to urinate in them, so lots of absorption doesn't seems to be an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that fiberfill in coats and sleeping bags is used for warmth and its light weight......neither of which is necessary in a cage pad.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

That is the general idea like down it has air pockets, my 'thought was this would alow more drainage trapping the moisture on the lower side rather than right up beneath the fleece layer, well was only an idea, I don't even have a piece of it around to experiment with now like trying pour water through it, although as I recall from using this before it is open celled and would drain well

Thanks
    Thanks
    479 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

I have something like that for my future attempts at making cuddle cups/sac. Not sure how well it holds up in the wash, it might all end up at one end of the large liners I use for my big cage(4x9). I have tried other fabric and have found that the 2 layers of flannel I'm currently using work great for me. I may try this idea for the smaller pads I use in their "high traffic" areas and their kitchen trays.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

What I would do is cut the size of the fiberfill you want, make the covering ~ 1" larger then fold the covering and stich through both top and bottom to stablise the batting between two layer of fabric so it can not shift in the wash, could also quilt it if you can get your machine to pull a tight enough stich or would not be a chew toy or get caught on pigs nails, not sure how good the moderen machines are at that, I am used to the old cast iron Singers you could actualy adjust well.

I am by far not a seamstress but have done a lot of sewing on things like copied motorcycle seats and car seats taking note as I take them apart how they were lapped and stiched for strength. 99% of the time durability depends on at least 3 layers of fabric stiched or it will pull out, look at levies and note there are 4-5 layers on the main leg seams & double stiched.

Kristin

* Got to get me another old singer machine soon, I have even used a treadle from time to time, talk about 'old school'

Thanks
    Thanks
    749 Rec'd/621 Posts
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Quoted
    651 Post(s)

Kristin.......you obviously have some experience with sewing and are thinking this entire process through before you begin.

Use the "Search" function on the forum (brown box on the upper right) and plug in fleece cage liners, cuddle cups, cozies, etc. There is a fleece thread that has more posts than you probably want to wade through. I spent w-a-y too much time doing this, but gathered some terrific ideas, some of which I modified to suit myself.

I had two not-so-old machines and neither one would sew multiple layers. Found out later that you need a walking foot. After about 8-10 cuddle cups and with eventually getting my technique refined, I gave up.......and bought a new machine! Of course with the holidays, it is still in the box. Don't ever give up that old treadle.......if all you want to do is to sew a straight seam, you can't beat it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    92 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

You don't want to use anything with a polyester batting or filling. It won't absorb, the urine will wick through it and pool on the coroplast. You would need to use cotton batting or cotton mattress pad, etc for most efficiency.

User Tag List