Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Just Got My 2 Female Guinea Pigs. First Piggies! Yay!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

So, yesterday, Thursday, 12/29/2011, I got my first Guinea Pigs. I got 2 female Guinea Pigs.

One Guinea Pig is an English Guinea Pig, with short Black and White fur, and the other is an Abyssinian Guinea Pig, with long, scruffy Black and White fur. Both females.

__

I have them in their 2 grid x 4 grid C&C cage behind me as I type this.

I was just wondering what I should do for the first days of being a Cavy owner. When should I try to tame them? When should I develop a feeding schedule?

Just, what should I do for the first few days of Cavy ownership, and what did you all do?

:p

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your piggies!! What are there names? You know we are pigture addicts, so pleeeaase post some A.S.A.P.!! :D You should develop a feeding schedule...well...now!! And today you should just try to leave them alone, resist the urge to pick them up, but put your hand in the cage and if they come up to it, let them sniff it. If they run away, do NOT take your hand out!! As they will associate running away with you leaving them alone. If they begin sniffing your hand, slowly you could start petting them. Don't pick them up until a few more days. Are they very skittish?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Btw I just got my first piggie 2, and she was friendly from the start, so I was able to hold her the 2nd day I had her!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your piggies!! What are there names? You know we are pigture addicts, so pleeeaase post some A.S.A.P.!! :D You should develop a feeding schedule...well...now!! And today you should just try to leave them alone, resist the urge to pick them up, but put your hand in the cage and if they come up to it, let them sniff it. If they run away, do NOT take your hand out!! As they will associate running away with you leaving them alone. If they begin sniffing your hand, slowly you could start petting them. Don't pick them up until a few more days. Are they very skittish?

VERY skittish.

I don't have names ATM. Once I get into taming them more in depth I will begin to focus on names. I want to see behavior patterns first. Also, they both stay in their hiding houses all day. Yesterday they were out and about, but today they just hid. Is that normal?

Well, I have a book and it has a section on taming so I have been trying that out. I put my hand in a fair amount for them to see. But, they don't react.

Yeah, I won't pick them up any time soon.

OK! I will get a feeding schedule starting tomorrow. I haven't been following the guidelines yesterday and today and I might have overfed them because I want them to be happy.

Also, it doesn't look like they are drinking from their sipper bottles...... what to do?

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
It looks like you did you research! For the first day I would just let them get used to there new surroundings before you hold them. I would also wait a while to tame them for the same reason. I'm not very sure about feeding schedules but I feed mine at 7am and again at 7pm. It's fine to take them out and hold them but try to let them adjust to their new lives. When I first got mine, I just stared at them through the cage (had a petstore cage at the time) the entire night! I kept sticking my hand in and I was so happy when they let me touch them! Good luck with your new pig, and welcom to the forum! :)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
It looks like you did you research! For the first day I would just let them get used to there new surroundings before you hold them. I would also wait a while to tame them for the same reason. I'm not very sure about feeding schedules but I feed mine at 7am and again at 7pm. It's fine to take them out and hold them but try to let them adjust to their new lives. When I first got mine, I just stared at them through the cage (had a petstore cage at the time) the entire night! I kept sticking my hand in and I was so happy when they let me touch them! Good luck with your new pig, and welcom to the forum! :)

Thanks!

Yup, I have been researching since late October.

:)

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
I stated taming immediately. Taming doesn't really mean 'holding' or 'cuddling' to me it's as simple as putting your hand in, letting them sniff, or whatever. Also talk to them, they get used to voices. Eventually offer veggies with your hand. I was able to pick mine up immediately, but then again my Charlie was the only one that was skittish, and he wasn't drastically untamed. It can feel like it takes FOREVER to tame a piggie, but just be patient, and congrates!

Rosemary

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new piggies! We brought home 2 princesses home yesterday too. My daughter has been so excited, she's been waiting "all her life" after all. I've been trying to get her to balance gentle attention and attentiveness with leaving them alone so they can escape their hideys and get all the hay, food, and water they need. I think the biggest lesson they are teaching her right now is patience, not a notable quality of eight year old girls!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are off to a good start.
Give them a couple of days to get used to their new cage and new home. Let them get used to you talking to them and like others have said your hand. You can sit by the cage, put your hand in and just talk to them. When you do try to pick them up, take a box they can run into and lift it out. At first you could wrap them in a dish towel and put them on your lap. They will feel safer that way. Stroke them gentle, offer them some food while on your lap. just let them get used to the whole new thing of being a loved piggie.

There is a great food chart in the diet/nutrition thread. Some feed veggies twice a day others daily. They may be drinking when you are not watching. Sounds like they are abit scared right now. It will all come together. Just be patient and good luck. Feel free to ask any questions. We are here for you and your new loves.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! Would love to see a picture of them. Double check that their water bottles are working, run your fingertip across the little ball at the tip and it should get wet. Sometimes water bottles get jostled and don't work unles you straighten them. I know my guys were slow to start drinking when they first arrived so as long as the bottle is working they will drink. Also, some days my guys drink more then others.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Yup. I will post pictures as soon as they will let me. Haha.

And, I do use that nutrition thread. We don't have many Veggies/Fruits at the moment, just enough to keep them safe, cuddly, and happy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.