Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Oxbow Eco Straw bedding?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
So I've been using aspen shavings for some time now because they are so cheap, but they don't control odor well and aren't very good absorbers. I've been exploring other options, but it's difficult to beat $7.99 for 56L of bedding. It lasts me at least two months.
Today I saw Oxbow Eco Straw pellet bedding for 8.99 at the store and wanted to know if anyone has tried it? They seem to be a bit lighter than wood pellets but not entirely sure. I have been thinking about wood pellets but they are so heavy and I will have a lofted kitchen soon so I worry about it not being able to hold the heavy bedding.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How large is your cage? I used to use aspen shavings, and 56 L didn't last me anything like two months. Maybe the size of the cage is the cause of the odor problems -- small cages are much harder to keep clean and odor free.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I have fleece bedding throughout for a 2x4, two pigs. Its just for their kitchen area. A regular sized cat litter pan. I fill it with approx 3 or 4 inches of aspen. By the end of the week its so gross on the bottom layer of aspen. They actually do most peeing and pooing on the fleece too.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I have never seen any bedding that will last a week in a litter pan except wood pellets. When I used Yesterday's News in a 1x2 kitchen, I had to change them twice a week. With wood pellets, I only have to change them once a week.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I always changed aspen in the areas they used the most 2-3 times a week. I couldn't stand the smell otherwise. Most of the cage would be ok, but in the corners and under the hay rack would be really gross.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Ok so could a lofted kitchen area (1x2) hold a litter pan of wood pellets? I don't know what I could use as reinforcement... Would using a puppy pad or two under wood pellets work better or worse? If i have to, I logically could keep their litter pan on the main level of the cage and have the loft for sleeping and their bowl, but would rather not.
I'm at the point where I cant just "deal" with it anymore. They arent on pee directly I cant see wet spots on top of the aspen yet it's smelly. I plan to learn to sew, make some liners and pee pads to change as needed and better bedding. I am a full time student with very little spendable sums so I cant spend more than really $10 a month on bedding that works.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can reinforce the loft with two-by-two lumber.

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can reinforce the loft with two-by-two lumber.

Where did you get your 2 x 2 lumber? The 2 x 2's I bought were too wide to fit inside the grid spaces. I had to screw brackets on them and attach them to the grids. I went to Home Depot and Menards and bought them but both were too big.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I usually get mine from Home Depot. They fit in fine with my Bed Bath & Beyond grids. The ones in the pic are not mine though.

stitch327

Cavy Slave
We bought wood pellets on Saturday to switch from Aspen but we haven't cleaned it yet. We have a 2 x 4 and are nervous that we will need too many pellets and it will be to heavy for our cage to support. (We have it lifted up on some cubes used for storage) I was hoping to use it as bedding with some fleece pads, but now I am not even sure if it will work because it is heavy. I couldn't believe how small a 40 pound bag is! Not even sure if it will be enough for our cage!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
We bought wood pellets on Saturday to switch from Aspen but we haven't cleaned it yet. We have a 2 x 4 and are nervous that we will need too many pellets and it will be to heavy for our cage to support. (We have it lifted up on some cubes used for storage) I was hoping to use it as bedding with some fleece pads, but now I am not even sure if it will work because it is heavy. I couldn't believe how small a 40 pound bag is! Not even sure if it will be enough for our cage!

It shouldn't be an issue with the weight, did you zip tie it together as well as use the connectors, also tying together the stand with the cage? That will add stability.

It takes 2-3 people to efficiently empty & clean our 2x5 cage with wood pellets, heavy as heck, not to mention getting the bags in the apartment in the first place where the damn stairs are awful. But for those weeks when I hate fleece with a passion wood pellets are irreplaceable, and really much easier.

stitch327

Cavy Slave
It shouldn't be an issue with the weight, did you zip tie it together as well as use the connectors, also tying together the stand with the cage? That will add stability.

It takes 2-3 people to efficiently empty & clean our 2x5 cage with wood pellets, heavy as heck, not to mention getting the bags in the apartment in the first place where the damn stairs are awful. But for those weeks when I hate fleece with a passion wood pellets are irreplaceable, and really much easier.

We did zip tie it, so you think it should be okay?! How many pounds of the wood pellets does it take for you to use wood pellets in your 2 x 5? Just curious if we are even close with one 40 pound bag?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My cage is almost 16 square feet, and it takes one bag of pellets to fill the bottom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.