Thanks
    Thanks
    675 Rec'd/559 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Quoted
    606 Post(s)

JoAnn Fleece Sale........and coupons

JoAnn Fabrics once again has a 50% off blizzard and anti-pill fleece sale through December 24.

Do any of you plan to buy fleece this next week? I have some email coupons that I won't be using. They have my name on them, but I doubt that anyone would question you.

So, I'll ask the Mods, "what are the rules with regard to uploading them as attachments?"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/87 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

Re: JoAnn Fleece Sale........and coupons

I plan to buy fleece this next week ;-)

Thanks
    Thanks
    479 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Oh, no! I guess I will be going to buy more fleece. I still haven't finished sewing all the fleece I bought on black friday! Thanks for the heads up!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,892 Rec'd/1,347 Posts
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Quoted
    718 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing, but I don't think it's a good idea to post the coupon here. It might get our site in trouble. I'm sure others can subscribe to Joann's site to get the coupon.

I got the same email for the coupons and this is their disclaimer:
    "PERSONALIZED INTERNET COUPON. Distribution of these coupons in PDF or other portable document formats is not permitted. Void if copied, altered, reproduced, auctioned, sold, traded, transferred or assigned. Any such misuse or other misuse constitutes fraud and is prosecutable under federal wire and other statutes."

Thanks
    Thanks
    675 Rec'd/559 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Quoted
    606 Post(s)

Ok, Lissie, thanks. Just thought I'd share if permissible.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    92 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I was actually going to Joanns later today to get some fleece. Great timing on my part, yay! Thanks
    But I am signed up on Joann mailing list also, and I received no coupon

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,055 Rec'd/771 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)

download the joann fabric app and you can get the same coupons. =D

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I was there today and bought some cute garaffi fleece, 50% off!

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I have so much fleece now there is no need for me to get more until most of what I have is put to to use.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Thanks
    Thanks
    112 Rec'd/87 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

If I was going to Joann's today, I'd end up with way too much fleece to know what to do with!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    92 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I went to Joanns today and without coupons I got 6 yards of fleece for $30 !! I saved about $35 too, planning on getting some Uhaul pads soon and sewing liners after christmas hopefully.
    Off topic but would 2 layers of uhaul sewn to one layer of fleece on top work fine for a liner?

Thanks
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Yes, at least that is what I have heard ! I use two layers of u-haul underneath one layer of anti-pill anyway,( Haven't made my own liners yet ! Mine are separate still..) and it works great !

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,055 Rec'd/771 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)

I found one layer works better, things stay drier. The last few liners I made were fleece/uhaul/fleece that way I can get two different patterns in one pad and the uhaul pad lasts longer because it doesn't get quite as ripped up in the washer/dryer.

Thanks
    Thanks
    675 Rec'd/559 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Quoted
    606 Post(s)

OK........I'm "hearing" you say different things. I am planning to sew my pads to be the exact size of the cage.........fleece on the outside, u-haul blanket as the inner layer. I have washed and dried the u-haul pad and yes, it shrinks. My new fleece is now going through the third wash cycle and I'll probably do a couple more.

So, InleRabbit......you say a single layer of u-haul, Kathlaaron, you say a double layer, but yours aren't sewn. And, InleRabbit, you have a different pattern for each side of the pad? Am I correct in my assumptions?

Have any of you thought about creating a fleece envelope/duvet cover and securing the opening with snaps or velcro? I have a feeling that the u-haul pad will wear out long before the fleece, and one could simply put in a new u-haul blanket at that point in time. The downside of this method would seem to be that the u-haul pad will freely move inside the fleece when it's washed and possibly bunch up?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,055 Rec'd/771 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)

Yes, but a different pattern as in different colors. Keeps things interesting. Mine are made so the pad fits perfectly in the bottom of the cage; I don't overlap the fleece over the sides. Though I might start...a certain Ben Pig is starting to think those sides look yummy all of the sudden...

The first pad I made was one layer of fleece and two of uhaul, it is thick and bulky, it takes the drier quite a bit longer to dry it than other pads I have made, it also seems to stay wet with urine and smells more. The second pad I made was one layer fleece and one of uhaul. This pad is thinner, easier to fold neatly, it dries quicker and it does not stay wet and the urine dries faster but I have noticed as it ages that the uhaul pad is starting to wear thin in some places. The 3rd and 4th pads I made were fleece/uhaul/fleece these seem to be the most successful. They have all the benefits of the single layer fleece/uhaul pads but the uhaul is protected from the washer and drier. Another benefit of making the pads this way is that you can have more colors of fleece and not take up as much space with many different pads. I also use smaller fleece/uhaul/fleece pads in the spots where the piggies seem to do their business the most so that it is easier to change out and keep things clean and dry. =D

I have not thought of doing a duvet style cage pad. I think it would be a pain to get a thin uhaul pad into the duvet correctly but I wouldn’t see much of a problem with it moving around once the pad was properly placed in the cage. You would want to take the uhaul out before washing though, just so things dried properly but it wouldn’t take as long for the cage pads to dry in the drier. I would do either a zipper or snaps as opposed to buttons or Velcro just for longevity. I’m not sure if there would be enough of a gain doing it that way or not. It’s an interesting idea though and maybe one that needs to be tested.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    92 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I thinking I might sew the uhaul layers together and keep the fleece cut to size, but loose. That way when the uhaul layers wear out (i hadnt thought of that) I can just replace those as fleece can be very pricey all at once.

Thanks
    Thanks
    675 Rec'd/559 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Quoted
    606 Post(s)

Inle_Rabbit.......thanks for the very complete reply! Maybe we'll get a couple of other opinions overnight.

I have noticed one thing......the u-haul pad seems a bit fragile, as though it would disintegrate after being laundered several times? That in itself makes a good case for having it enclosed in fleece for durability. And like you, I'm making the pads the exact dimensions of the cage, both for ease of changing and for attractiveness......but that's just my personal preference.

Any great tips for sewing the pads? Do you top stitch after they're finished? I know some people do a quilting pattern, but I just don't have the time to perfect that skill at the moment.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,055 Rec'd/771 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)

I currently have 4 pads I change around at whim. The oldest is the fleece and double layer uhaul I think I made it in the beginning of September, that one seems to hold up really well to all the washings. The next oldest one and the one I use the most because I like the pattern best is the fleece with one layer of uhaul that is the one I have noticed the most thinning on. I made that only a week or two after the first pad. Judging by how it has thinned so far I would think I could get another 6 months to a year out of it. It isn't balding by any means just thinning. I've read it mentioned in other posts as well so maybe someone who has been using fleece for longer can give a better time frame. I would think the fleece would not hold up much longer than that anyway. Fleece will pill after repeated washings and eventually get scratchy. I’m sure since I’m using it as a guinea pig diaper (basically) it will be stained by then as well.

The pads were very easy to sew. I cut the fleece and uhaul to size + an inch on all sides. Sandwiches the layers with the two pieces of fleece right sides together and then the uhaul on the wrong side of one fleece. I used a long running stitch since fleece is a stretchy fabric and stitched around all sides making sure to leave an opening large enough to turn the fleece right side out. Clip your corners. Once it was right side out I pinned the opening closed and did a top stitch about 1/2 inch in all the way around. I didn’t quilt it (I just don’t have the time!) and I haven’t noticed any movement of the fleece layers or bunching. This is the same way I made the smaller pads for the areas the guinea pigs like to bathroom the most in.

Thanks
    Thanks
    675 Rec'd/559 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Quoted
    606 Post(s)

OK, thanks. Our thinking is pretty much the same. I've made cozy sacks, cuddle cups, fleece tunnels, and pads, but this will be my first shot at cage pads. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.

BTW, my experience to date is that ALL fleece pills eventually, especially when used for cage accessories. I suspect that this tendency is hastened by the fact that I thoroughly brush everything prior to washing. The brushing probably causes it to pill more than the laundering itself.

Thanks
    Thanks
    177 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

I made my fleece pads in a duvet sort of manner. I sewed the 2 layers of fleece together on 3 sides (good sides of fleece facing in). Then I cut my u-haul pad to fit inside the fleece pocket.

I didn't use a temporary way to close it all up though. I sewed the final side up, then did a top stitch about an inch in to make a quick border and keep the u-haul pad in place.

User Tag List