Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Care to critique?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Ok, I have finally decided to use fleece with a uhaul pad underneath for the main cage bedding, then in their "food/hay zone" I will have carefresh on bottom, wood pellets, then more carefresh on top. Does this sound okay? I will empty the litter box daily.

MoosesMommy

Cavy Slave
You probably wont need to clean litter out everyday. Just spot clean every day and completely clean out as needed. you'll save money

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I was originally dumping all the litter every 1.5 days. Now I spot clean and scoop all the wet litter out daily but completely clean and scrub the trays every three days. The recycled newspaper litter I'm using runs AUD$25 for a 30L bag, so it adds up changing the litter constantly in two kitchen trays and two corner toilets.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Okay I forgot how big the litter box is so spot-cleaning makes more sense hehe :) Thanks anything else?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You don't need to combine litters, one or the other should work fine, but that is up to you completely. I'm not sure there would be a benefit though. Otherwise sounds good! You will probably change the way you do things a few times before you get it all down pat anyway. =D

arionat799

Cavy Slave
You don't need to combine litters, one or the other should work fine, but that is up to you completely. I'm not sure there would be a benefit though. Otherwise sounds good! You will probably change the way you do things a few times before you get it all down pat anyway. =D

Thanks I just thought it said on here: Bedding that the wood pellets can be uncomfortable for the pigs to walk on...also is it hard to clean the sawdust off the coroplast it said the wood pellets give off sawdust...

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
If I ever start using wood pellets for the litter box, I would put aspen on top for the same reason you said. They are hard and dusty when wet, which doesn't sound fun for the pigs. With that said, your system is fine. I don't approve of buying bedding for $35 though, so I'd never get carefresh. :p

arionat799

Cavy Slave
If I ever start using wood pellets for the litter box, I would put aspen on top for the same reason you said. They are hard and dusty when wet, which doesn't sound fun for the pigs. With that said, your system is fine. I don't approve of buying bedding for $35 though, so I'd never get carefresh. :p

Ok thanks for the advice...doesn't aspen get everywhere though?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Ah I see. It's only in the feeding area of the cage so I don't think it would be too terribly uncomfortable for them to be on it since they don't have to stay there the whole time. I personally haven't had any trouble but like I said, you will probably change how you do things a few times until you get what works right for you. It took me a few months to get a system down that works well for me and my lifestyle.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Ok so my main question now is does aspen really get everywhere?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Yes and so do pine chips

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
They get wet, then kind of mushy, then they break apart and if/when they dry it's kind of sawdusty like but not dusty as in dust flying around. Just kind of saw dusty. I like them personally because they are cheaper than yesterday's news but I only use them in the kitchen area of my cage or over the whole area if I'm going out of town which isnt very often.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Oh okay so is it hard to clean the sawdust? Does it stick to the corners? And if you were just to dump the bedding out into a trash can would it stay in? Im not too familiar w/ sawdust :p

They get wet, then kind of mushy, then they break apart and if/when they dry it's kind of sawdusty like but not dusty as in dust flying around. Just kind of saw dusty. I like them personally because they are cheaper than yesterday's news but I only use them in the kitchen area of my cage or over the whole area if I'm going out of town which isnt very often.

betty

Cavy Slave
Does everyone use many layers of bedding in the kitchen area? I find that a think layer of carefresh on top of one puppy pad works great. I scoop out the patches of wet carefresh and replace that daily. I only do a complete change every 7 days. Never have any problems with odour. The kitchen ins 1x2 grids for 1 piggy.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Yes aspen do get everywhere. I have 12 inch high sides in the hay/kitchen area which keeps all of it inside the cage. I just vacuum up whatever stragglers may get onto the fleece and it's no big deal.

Also, I only use aspen in my kitchen area. Nothing else, it does start to smell after like 5 days which I dislike greatly. But carefresh is just too much money for me to keep getting it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.