Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Good place to get bedding from?!

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for either aspen or kiln dried pine in BULK for a good price. I've been scouring the internet for a few hours now and I haven't found any prices that have WOW'ed me or any reliable sites. All of the local feed stores in my area don't care the appropriate kind of bedding and the few that do they come in small packages and are pretty pricey. I'm looking at about 40 sq ft of cages that I have to clean out once a week and it's getting to be pretty expensive! I tried the whole fleece route but they hated it so I'm back to bedding again! anyone have any good sources that won't kill me with the shipping?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but have you tried wood pellets? They're cheaper than just about anything else, great at odor control, and don't require cleaning as frequently as other bedding does. There's a Tractor Supply store in Covington that has them.

Back when I was using aspen in litter boxes, I looked for bulk sales of it -- a couple of neighbors and I were going to split the order. But I couldn't find it in anything larger than about 4 cubic feet per package.

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
Are they soft though? My pigs are so spoiled if they're not on anything that's very soft they look at me like I'm crazy and refuse to move around much. :/

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, they're not at all soft. My pigs don't seem to mind. I do put small fleece pads around for them to lounge around on, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.