Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Wood pellets, what to ask for?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
With building a new kitchen area, and paper pellets being so darn expensive I've decided to try wood pellets used for burning instead. The issue here is that there is little to no information on the bags in most stores, what do I specifically ask for when talking to the store/calling the manufacturer about this?

No additives of course, but anything else I should ask?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I'm sure Bpatters will chime in, she has far more experience, but I can say that accelerants are very dangerous additives to some of the wood pellets and are to be avoided.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's not really anything to ask except if there are any additives. The only thing they add to pellets for wood stoves is accelerants, and even that's not very common, as it makes them burn up too quickly. Mine say "all natural" and the only thing in them is sawdust.

They are also used for bedding horse stalls at a slightly higher price, but as far as I can tell, they're the same thing.

Piglicious

Cavy Slave
i buy the ones for horses...bag says 'Equine Fresh' on the front if i remember correctly...got a 40lb bag for 5.49 at my local Orschlens

they are very absorbent..i use them under my aspen shaving in the pigs cages and under my bunny's cage as well. they work very well

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I even used them for kitty litter for our last cat. Worked much better than anything marketed for cats, and was way less than half the cost.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.