Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Stinky Pigs!!!

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
I had my pigs on fleece with a litter box in a corner and a kitchen area with Carefresh but my pigs were instead pooping in their pigloos and tubes and laying in it - causing some very very very stinky pigs! They were rank to the point that my fiancé wouldn't handle them at all :(

I've switched now to kiln dried pine to see if maybe that will help with the smell because their dropping might fall down inside it instead of sit on top where they can lay in it. I found it to be a lot cheaper than Carefresh, especially how fast I went thru it with a 2x4 C&C cage with two young male pigs.

Anyone else struggle with stinky piggies?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The pigs themselves don't usually stink. Boars cause some pretty nasty odors when they're marking their territory, and need their anal sacs checked/cleaned regularly.

Probably the easiest way to handle them pooping in pigloos and tunnels is to put a pad underneath them and change the pads out every day. I don't like pigloos anyway, because there's no air circulation in them. I use stepstools that I got at the dollar store.

Also, peed-on hay smells very quickly, and picking up the hay off the floor of the cage every day helps.

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
It is definitely a smell on their fur when you pick them up. It sounds weird but you notice it if you put your nose in their fur. They smell like poo and old vegetables. I can only guess its from sleeping on their poo.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I noticed that with mine too when I use fleece. When I use pine shavings they were pine scented when I switched to fleece they smelled like that, poo or slightly damp. Clean up the poo more often and make sure that your fleece is wicking properly. I also got rid of my pigloos and use draped fleece and a fleece forest. I put a litter box in the spot they like to lay in the most, that helped a ton!

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
I cleaned up the poo usually when I got up and sometimes before and always after work (I work steady 3-11) and the poo smell on the pigs was still overwhelming. They mostly peed in the kitchen area and the one corner with a litter box but they seemed to make beds out of poo.

anydue

Cavy Slave
My boys poo where they sit/sleep as well. I made litter boxes out of coroplast and put a separate pad in each. That way I don't have to change the entire bedding out as often. I am not sure what to do about the smell though. I haven't noticed it, but I haven't had my piggies long.

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
The smell doesn't bother me so much but my clean freak fiancé is really up in arms about it and wishes I'd have never gotten the pigs. He's home in the evenings when I'm at work and never takes them out of their cage or spends any time with them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe if you put their hideys in litter pans, and just change the litter a couple of times a day it would help. I took litter boxes out of my cage when I was using fleece because of the very same problem you're having. But then I got disgusted with fleece and switched to wood pellets. As long as I keep moving the hideys around, they don't use on spot for peeing and pooping.

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
I'd wake up to the hideys being full of poo. I don't know how two little pigs can make so much poo just overnight! I'm going to try to find some kind of pans the hideys will fit in and see if filling them with bedding helps.

anydue

Cavy Slave
My husband doesn't spend time with my piggies either. I don't expect him to. I am the one that wanted them. I give them attention when I am home and clean their cage. It seems like you have a busy work schedule, so I wouldn't put yourself in a bind by having to clean their cage so many times a day. It is a lot of work! If the smell isn't bothering you, then try different tactics that work for you, that make your life easier. If you lose interest in the piggies because they are too much work, then both of you will be wishing you had not got them. That is not good! I think they will have plenty of love from you alone if you are happy about taking care of them!

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
I think they have me trained. I clean their cage and feed them before I even get my own coffee! I cuddle them both every day and make sure they're clean and fed and get to run around. I think they're a joy to have around.

anydue

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you have it under control then! They are lucky to have you! :)

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
If it is too big of an issue for your finance then try switching to other bedding until you find out what works for both of you. These little GPs can live up to 7 years you don't want them to be a point of contention in your future marriage. Just a bit of advice from a married woman. ;)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I still think that wood pellets win, hands down, over anything else at controlling smells. It's cheaper than carefresh or wood shavings. You might want to give it a try -- a 40 pound bag will cost less than $6, and if it doesn't help, you can try something else the next time. I do put fleece pads in for my pigs to sleep on, though, because the pellets are hard. But I just pull them out every day and wash them when I have enough for a washer load.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I meant fiancé not finance... :p

skritters

Cavy Slave
Where do you get wood pellets from? I don't think I've ever seen them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're available from farm/feed stores, and in some home improvement centers. They're made of compressed sawdust, and are used either as fuel in pellet stoves, or as bedding in horse stalls. They're essentially the same thing, but if you get the ones made for stoves, you have to be careful that they have no accelerants in them.

Also, if you try them and like them, you should know that in many areas, they're a winter item only. I have to buy enough by February to last me until the next December.

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
Lets face it, piggies are poo machines!...
I am playing with the idea of doing half the cage in fleece and half in pine(I think most call it the kitchen) is where the pine would be. I'm acquiring the supplies when I see them for the fleece, buying remenants when I see them. But currently I just use pine.

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
I'm trying life without pigloos and seeing if that helps with the pig stink. Fleece tents with cuddle cups and some plastic pipe to run thru will hopefully help the piggies stay dry from better ventilation.

Attachments

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322605149.927275.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322605176.471686.jpg

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
Love that fleece!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.