Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: How do u make straw bedding?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Jamshedpur, India
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    How do u make straw bedding?

    Well, this was my luck at making the bedding....


    We don't get any kind of branded commercial bedding in our country, and buying from abroad is extremely expensive. I bought a straw bale and cut it into small pieces.

    The problem with the current bedding, as u can see in the pic, as the Piggie moves, the straw gets displaced. I do a google image search for gp bedding and I mostly see straw bedding, with level of straw intact. How do they make straw bedding?

  2. #2
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 11, 2010
    Location
    Unincorporated Carol Stream, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    8,671
    Thanks
    561
    Thanks
    1,785 Rec'd/1,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1170 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    What country do you live in? Maybe there's someone on here from the same country who can find a source for guinea pig bedding for you. Hay does not make good bedding. Once it gets wet, it's going to stink like a barn. If that's his cage, it's too small for a guinea pig.

  3. #3
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    12,473
    Thanks
    48
    Thanks
    3,346 Rec'd/2,549 Posts
    Mentioned
    883 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1420 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Straw is not a good bedding for a guinea pig. It doesn't absorb urine so the pig's feet and bottom develop problems, but the bigger issue is that the pig will eat the straw, and it does not have enough nutritional value for the pig's needs. If you go look at Guinea Lynx, there's a thread (on Cavy Chat, I believe) called "Raising a piggy in India." There should be some suggestions for bedding on there, but if not, PM the user Pimpinpuji and ask her for suggestions. She's corresponded with a number of guinea pig owners about finding supplies for their pigs.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 19, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    I see you have newspaper in there as well. Have you looked at other threads that have instructions on how to make bedding with newspaper? You should take a look around and see.

  5. #5
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 26, 2011
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Yes the cage is way too small. They need a good amount of run space. In our rescue we use shredded paper over newspaper or pee pads. I prefer newspaper because it is eco friendly. We also use Aspen but never Pine or Cedar it is harmful to both their respiratory system and liver. Carefresh also works good, Yesterdays News (it is a bedding not newspaper) I prefer the shredded paper and the Aspen. Our cages are no smaller that 2'X4' often 5'long. I also use a very large box for additional run time a couple of hours a day. I put bedding and hay on the bottom and they love this.

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Jamshedpur, India
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Straw is not a good bedding for a guinea pig. It doesn't absorb urine so the pig's feet and bottom develop problems, but the bigger issue is that the pig will eat the straw, and it does not have enough nutritional value for the pig's needs. If you go look at Guinea Lynx, there's a thread (on Cavy Chat, I believe) called "Raising a piggy in India." There should be some suggestions for bedding on there, but if not, PM the user Pimpinpuji and ask her for suggestions. She's corresponded with a number of guinea pig owners about finding supplies for their pigs.
    thnx for guiding me... there werent any information about the bedding on that thread. i PMed her about this matter....

    well if u can think of something which is easily available, or correct my previous mistakes, these were my attempts:

    - 2 flat sheets of newapaper - my pig doesnt like to be on the newapaper. he would lift it up and go under it. he would also eat it sometimes.
    - cloth - same problem. he liked to crawl under the cloth even more and by the morning i would find him wrapped up in the cloth. i know this is comfy for him, but this isnt a bedding.
    - packaging newapaper strips - to my horror, he used to eat a lot of them.... imo, indian newapaper ink is extremely toxic.
    - straw pieces from cow sheds - the straw gets displaced when the pig moves. and of course, he eats it, but its less dangerous than eating newspaper.

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave Nikkipig's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 11, 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio, US
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Is that his cage in the picture?

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Jamshedpur, India
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Green View Post
    Yes the cage is way too small. They need a good amount of run space. In our rescue we use shredded paper over newspaper or pee pads. I prefer newspaper because it is eco friendly. We also use Aspen but never Pine or Cedar it is harmful to both their respiratory system and liver. Carefresh also works good, Yesterdays News (it is a bedding not newspaper) I prefer the shredded paper and the Aspen. Our cages are no smaller that 2'X4' often 5'long. I also use a very large box for additional run time a couple of hours a day. I put bedding and hay on the bottom and they love this.
    yep, but mine's the largest size available in the whole shop. and the stupid shopkeeper chuckled as i turned my back. he had stuffed about 8 piggies plus 2 rabbits in a cage smaller than that.... they are kept in horrible cnditions u know...

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave Nikkipig's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 11, 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio, US
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Why don't you make your own cage? You can use alternatives to grids and coroplast, if you can't find them. Plexiglass, wood, shower curtain, tarp... etc.

    Edit: I also don't see a water bottle, but a water dish, which doesn't work as well as a bottle because they get dirty easily.

  10. #10
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    12,473
    Thanks
    48
    Thanks
    3,346 Rec'd/2,549 Posts
    Mentioned
    883 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1420 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    You can extend the cage by using grids or closet shelving. Leave the original cage as the kitchen, and give your pig more room to run outside. You may have bought the largest cage in the pet shop, but it's still not large enough for your pig.

    I don't know what you can use for bedding. Newspaper ink is generally soy based and not toxic, but newspaper isn't a very good bedding. The cloth sounds like the best of those options, and you can clip it down so the pig can't burrow underneath it. But it will need to be changed frequently, and it will work much better if the top layer wicks the urine through to an absorbent bottom layer.

  11. #11
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 26, 2011
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    You can purchase thing to make your own cages. I would advise that and offer run time for your pigs as much as possible. You do not have to use store bought cages. It is not hard to make your own. We at the rescue actually use wire racks put cloroplast on the floor and wire panels from a home improvement store around all four sides of the rack. You can also put the cloroplast on the back and put the wire panels on the sides and front. She uses Wire panels from home improvement stores to make closets, and uses zip ties to secure them to the rack. This works very well. For my run time I just get a big box and put the plastic sheet on the bottom with bedding and hay and they can run around as much as they want. Be creative. Another good thing for run time is a kids plastic pool. The ones for very small children. They are a hard plastic. Put bedding on the bottom and they love this too. Do you have home improvement stores there. Sorry I have never been to India. You can get just about everything you need at one except the plastic sheet for the bottom of the cage. This can be fun. Just remember they need lots of space to run around.
    Last edited by Cindy Green; 11-27-11 at 06:31 pm.

  12. #12
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 26, 2011
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Green View Post
    You can purchase thing to make your own cages. I would advise that and offer run time for your pigs as much as possible. You do not have to use store bought cages. It is not hard to make your own. We at the rescue actually use wire racks put cloroplast on the floor and wire panels from a home improvement store around all four sides of the rack. You can also put the cloroplast on the back and put the wire panels on the sides and front. She uses Wire panels from home improvement stores to make closets, and uses zip ties to secure them to the rack. This works very well. For my run time I just get a big box and put the plastic sheet on the bottom with bedding and hay and they can run around as much as they want. Be creative. Another good thing for run time is a kids plastic pool. The ones for very small children. They are a hard plastic. Put bedding on the bottom and they love this too. Do you have home improvement stores there. Sorry I have never been to India. You can get just about everything you need at one except the plastic sheet for the bottom of the cage. This can be fun. Just remember they need lots of space to run around.

  13. #13
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 26, 2011
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Yes I would never buy an animal from a pet store. They keep them in horrible conditions in most cases

  14. #14
    Cavy Slave Onetwo's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    1,797
    Thanks
    616
    Thanks
    358 Rec'd/252 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Ditto what others have said. I know we have other members on here from your country. We are getting more international all the time. Maybe other members can find other good members to help you. I would definately NOT buy from petstores. Not just animals but pet supplies as well.

    The cage you have is about 1/4 of what she should have. She will also need a buddy at some point in time if you can afford it. Newspaper is not good (lowest of the low) and straw is terrible (if you leave it longer than 12 hours it will mold and if she eats any of that she will get terribly sick). I definately suggest fleece bedding with towels and clip it down (weigh it down) good. If you provide her with a place to hide she wont burrow around in it so much either. Take either a piece of fabric and drape it in the courner of the cage like a tent or hang a rope across one side and lay fabric over that like a canopy or get her a cardboard box with no bottom and a hole in one side for her to climb in and out of that will really help.

  15. #15
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 20, 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Is dried grass good for bedding. What is the difference between hay and straw. Can someone put picture of hay,straw and dried grass to clear my doubt.Thank you

  16. #16
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    12,473
    Thanks
    48
    Thanks
    3,346 Rec'd/2,549 Posts
    Mentioned
    883 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1420 Post(s)

    Re: How do u make straw bedding?

    Dried grasses of any kind -- hay, straw, whatever -- are not good for bedding. They don't absorb urine, and the pigs are living with their feet and bottoms wet. That can lead to bumblefoot and urinary tract infections.

    You can used kiln-dried wood shavings (not cedar, though), or some kinds of kitty litter (recycled newspaper is good) or fleece with some sort of absorbent padding underneath. Nothing, however, is going to work very well in that small cage. You'll have to change the whole thing every day.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •