Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece not wicking after 7 washes?

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
I washed my fleece in cold water with Woolite (no fabric softener) 3 times. Water still pooled on top. So following advice here, I washed it in hot water with Tide (no fabric softener) 4 times. It's still not wicking!!!! The water either sits like a bubble on top of the fleece, or it soaks into it leaving a super wet spot for a half hour.

What am I doing wrong? I bought polyester anti-pill fleece from Your Fleece and it's just super water repellent. Right now it's cut and pinned to 2 layers of uhaul blankets and I'm planning on sewing it together today, but obviously I can't use it until it wicks.

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
When you test out your fleece do you have the absorbant layer underneath it? If the fleece doesn't have the layer underneath it has nowhere to put the moisture.

The only other suggestion I could offer is "stripping" the fabric. It's a technique used by people with cloth diapers. Wash the fabric in the hottest water possible, turn up your water heater if you need to, and add dawn dish soap to the wash. Be sure it's just regular, original dawn not the Ultra.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Have you tried both sides? Sometimes one side wicks and the other doesn't.

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
When you test out your fleece do you have the absorbant layer underneath it? If the fleece doesn't have the layer underneath it has nowhere to put the moisture.

The only other suggestion I could offer is "stripping" the fabric. It's a technique used by people with cloth diapers. Wash the fabric in the hottest water possible, turn up your water heater if you need to, and add dawn dish soap to the wash. Be sure it's just regular, original dawn not the Ultra.

Yes, I have a layer of 2 UHaul pads underneath it. Is the dish soap safe to use in the high efficiency washers? I've never used anything other than HE detergent in them.

Have you tried both sides? Sometimes one side wicks and the other doesn't.

Interesting....I had never thought of that. But I just came home and tried it and no, it doesn't wick either. :sad:

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I had a piece of fleece like that. For no reason at all it just didn't wick. Have you tried different piece of fleece?

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
I washed another piece of fleece (from the same company and I think the same kind but different pattern) and it also is not wicking at all.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'll bet it has soil repellent or flame retardant added to it. Go to Joann Fabrics and just buy some remnants which are cheap.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Frustrating to be sure. So sorry !! I agree, best to get some from Joanns so you will know it is right. You could use what you have for tents and such, where wicking is not needed.

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
ARGH!!!!!! I am so angry! I waited for a few weeks for this fleece to arrive and paid more than I would have at Joann's. I also already cut it and pinned it to the UHaul blankets (but haven't sewed them yet). I do have some fleece from Joann's, but I haven't washed it yet. Should I give it a few washes or do you think if it is hasn't started wicking it's a lost cause? WAAAHHHH!!!! :weepy:

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Did you wash and dry the fleece in the dryer? Per your first post, no fleece should stay wet for half an hr. The water should go to the absorbent layer below and the top feel "relatively" dry in a short amount of time. I'd just hate for you to sew it to the pads and have it not work. I have a friend who worked at Joann and she gave me many pieces of fleece and they all work fine after 4 or 5 washings. I do use a homemade detergent with 20 mule team borax, etc. Have you used vinegar? I'd do one more wash with white vinegar ONLY and hot water and dry and try it once more before I gave up!

pinky

Cavy Slave
ARGH!!!!!! I am so angry! I waited for a few weeks for this fleece to arrive and paid more than I would have at Joann's. I also already cut it and pinned it to the UHaul blankets (but haven't sewed them yet). I do have some fleece from Joann's, but I haven't washed it yet. Should I give it a few washes or do you think if it is hasn't started wicking it's a lost cause? WAAAHHHH!!!! :weepy:

Contact the manufacturer and ask what the fabric content is and if it's been treated. It could even be some kind of fleece blend... who knows...

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
I went to the website and they say they have a better quality fleece than competitors. Wonder if something about theirs is different? Your might just tell them of your experience and perhaps get a refund.... it is worth a try!

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
I did email them to ask if they coat theirs with anything. I actually chose them after reading how great their fleece is for cageliners, go figure!

I'm washing it again on the sanitize setting...it's a 2 hour hot water and steam wash. I'm not ready to give up yet!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I looked up Woolite and they don't list the ingredients but it did say it's a high alkaline detergent. Another site says alkaline detergents can degrade polyester. I'm no chemist, but I wonder if the Woolite is the culprit. You can try washing in regular detergent to see if it makes a difference.

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
I looked up Woolite and they don't list the ingredients but it did say it's a high alkaline detergent. Another site says alkaline detergents can degrade polyester. I'm no chemist, but I wonder if the Woolite is the culprit. You can try washing in regular detergent to see if it makes a difference.

Hmmm....so maybe the first 3 washings were basically doing nothing or making it worse. Hopefully this next 2 hour long sanitize cycle will help.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think Duffinvt is correct about adding vinegar. I'd also not use any more Woolite.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hope it works now! As Duffinvt suggested put vinegar in the wash. I've always used vinegar even after it starts to wick.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
White vinegar is awesome. It sets colors, strips off chemicals, disinfects and deodorizes. You should add some every time you wash piggy laundry. =D

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
I have a front loader...do I put the vinegar in the detergent part, or the bleach or fabric softener part? And do I use just vinegar or detergent + vinegar?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I would use detergent (not Woolite) and vinegar. I add one cup of vinegar with every load of fleece I wash. I don't know about front loaders, though. I'd add it the same way you add your laundry detergent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.