Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Anti-microbial textile

ArabianMagicat

Cavy Slave
So, I'm hoping to make a c&c cage this week if I hear back from the sign companies soon. I would love to try those piggy bedspread liners, but they're pretty expensive, to a poor college student!
So, I want to try to make my own, and on the website it says the middle layer is an anti-miccrobial textile that is designed for use in absorbent products, but I'm not sure where to look for anti-microbial fabric. . Any idea what she uses, or can anyone point me in the right direction?

cmeyers13

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

These work really well!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I suggest the uhaul pads too. I also suggest buying a hand held vacuum. Target has a cheap dirtdevil on sale for 15 bucks this week!

I have a feeling that she might use Zorb in her liners but I have no proof as I have never bought one. the Uhaul pads work nicely though.

Jaclyn

Cavy Slave
I assume it is made like a cloth diaper is. Same three layers. Maybe hemp or bamboo for most absorbency.

cmeyers13

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

This site lists some of the pro's and con's of Zorb. (They are using it for fabric diapers).

People don't seem to be that impressed with it.

I have no experiences with it, maybe someone else can give you more insight.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I make mine with a single layer of uhaul padding in the middle. I can't see any reason to have to put an anti-microbial fabric in the middle. Just launder them regularly with laundry detergent and a cup of vinegar.

ArabianMagicat

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

This site lists some of the pro's and con's of Zorb. (They are using it for fabric diapers).

People don't seem to be that impressed with it.

I have no experiences with it, maybe someone else can give you more insight.

Thank you, yeah I don't think I'll try it since not many people seem pleased with it; the Uhall pad is so cheap and convenient to pick up, and everyone on here seems to like it. And thank you, I was thinking about picking up a little handheld vacum, now I know where to stop!

So does everyone use 100% polyester fleece, a Uhall pad as a second later, and vinyl as the bottom layer?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No need to put vinyl on the bottom of the pad -- that's what the coroplast is for.

In fact, you can put another layer of fleece on the other side, possibly a different color, and have more colors for the cage.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I use 2 layers of "diaper cloth" between my fleece. Even though it was labled "diaper cloth" it's really just white cotton fabric. I've also used an old quilted mattress pad as the middle layer, you have to make sure it's not the ones labled "water proof" because that defeats the purpose of the inner layer. I think for my next project I will try the Uhaul pads everybody raves about.

ArabianMagicat

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! And thanks bpatters, I didn't think so but I wanted to double check. And the two different colors is a great idea! I read somewhere about sowing the two fleece pieces together, then fitting the Uhaul pad in it, so I think I'll try that. I'll be sewing by hand since I have no idea how to use a sewing machine. So it should be interesting, haha.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.