Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Joann's Blizzard fleece $2.99 per yard

lissie

Cavy Slave
Joann's Black Friday sale, valid Nov 25, 26 and 27.

This is a good opportunity for those who love fleece or those who want to try fleece.

(broken link removed)

ArabianMagicat

Cavy Slave
Thanks!! I've never been there, but I want to try fleece this week, so I'll have to stop there!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I have always refused to be lured into the whole "black Friday" frenzy but I will now have to join the crowds because this is just to good a deal to pass up! Thanks!
OHOHOH! I just checked out the link and on the second page there is a coupon for 25% off including sale priced items, that was in the sunday ad!!!:eek:hmy:
valid on saturday 7am-noon only. There's one for friday also.

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
omg.... buy remnants and you'll get them for $1.50 a yard!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
If you can find remnants! Last year (on a late Saturday afternoon lol ) there was not a single remnant left in the store! They had 75% off remnants as part of the Black Weekend sales.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you can find remnants! Last year (on a late Saturday afternoon lol ) there was not a single remnant left in the store! They had 75% off remnants as part of the Black Weekend sales.

With all the fleece they're bound to sell. there would probably be some at some point. It would be worth checking it out anyway and buy by the yard if there are no remnants. The Joann stores by me keep the remnants behind the cutting table until they have to mark them. I ask them if they have anymore when I go and sometimes they do.

anydue

Cavy Slave
Does blizzard fleece work as well or better than polar?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
what is a remnant? and is blizzard fleece ok to use? I thought you're supposed to use anti-pill...

sstickly22

Cavy Slave
I use blizzard, I haven't had any issues with it once I switched to the U-haul pads underneath but I would love to hear more input. I do have several set of anti-pill also. I guess I never really noticed a difference.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
but whats it like w/ towels underneath?

pinky

Cavy Slave
but whats it like w/ towels underneath?

It's perfectly fine with towels underneath. 100% cotton towels are very absorbent and wash very nicely. I'd say the biggest difference is that towels are less rigid than uhaul pads so you have to move them around to set them in place and are a bit heavier than wet but work as well as the uhaul pads. If you have old towels, there's no reason to spend the money on uhaul pads.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use blizzard, I haven't had any issues with it once I switched to the U-haul pads underneath but I would love to hear more input. I do have several set of anti-pill also. I guess I never really noticed a difference.

I don't think there's much difference. I gauge the quality of the fleece by how thick and heavy it feels. The denser, the better.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
So how much fleece do you need for a 2x4 cage because they sell by the yard. I plan to get 2 fleece blankets but how many yards singly?

CLV71

Cavy Slave
So how much fleece do you need for a 2x4 cage because they sell by the yard. I plan to get 2 fleece blankets but how many yards singly?

I've never made a liner for a C&C cage so I don't know what the best amount to buy would be to keep waste to a minimum. I do know that a liner for a 2 by 4 can be made with just a bit over a yard and a half of fleece, but again there will be some waste which might not matter if you can make a cuddle cup or something with what's left over. A grid is 14 inches so 14 x 4=56 inches a yard is 36 inches. A yard and a half is 54 inches. (I didn't count in the small amount of space that a connector adds) I think I would just buy 2 yards.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
ok thanks but wait i'm confused I thought you just buy the fabric but some people are saying that you sew it...?

CLV71

Cavy Slave
ok thanks but wait i'm confused I thought you just buy the fabric but some people are saying that you sew it...?

It's your choice whether you want to sew it or not. I imagine a sewed one piece liner would be easier to deal with (after the sewing has been completed that is). If you prefer you can just put down towels and then put the fleece over it without sewing them together.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
It's your choice whether you want to sew it or not. I imagine a sewed one piece liner would be easier to deal with (after the sewing has been completed that is). If you prefer you can just put down towels and then put the fleece over it without sewing them together.

Ohhhh ok I get it now thank you!!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Personally, I prefer to sew everything. Otherwise, the piggies tunnel under the fleece and it is soon in disarray in short order. Plus, the sewn mats seem to be easier to vacuum and to wash.

If you sew, it has been recommended to me to put a piece of the U-haul blanket between the two layers of fleece with the idea being that the fleece wicks the urine away, and the U-haul layer absorbs it. Once sewn, how much easier can it be to remove the pad, shake and brush it, and toss it in the washer on warm?

If you aren't planning on sewing the fleece, then you may need all of the two yards and attach it to the coroplast with binder clips.

I just don't know how to sew. Or hand sew...

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I went after work today and spent $80:eek:. I was #49 in line for the measuring and cutting which gave me plenty of time to keep add ing to my cart! I also bought the flannel that was a door buster for $1.49 per yard, I'm going to use it as the absorbent layers. I love getting remnants for extra pads but since my cage is 7x3 grids I have to buy a large section if I want it for the floor piece.
I used my 50% off coupon on some plastic grommets, I'm going to attempt making hammocks for the boys:shhh:.
I asked the fabric lady what the difference was between the blizzard and anti-pill, because I had been wondering the same thing. She said the anti-pill has been roughened up that's all(kind of like distressed blue jeans).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.