Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Pads need disposable solution

garfunkle

Cavy Slave
:)HI
I'm a new pig owner to an awesome guy named Garfunkel and getting a new pig this weekend my mom does not want fleece or towels in the washer so i need a disposable solution my cage is separated into to areas a play and a bathroom/food area because i read that they will go to the bathroom where they eat I'm considering puppy pads and care fresh in a litter box.I would appreciate any advice recommendations or suggestions

PS i also need to be aware of odor control :eye-poppi

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Kiln-dried wood shavings, carefresh, Yesterday's News, and wood pellets are all options for you. Disposable puppy pads will get expensive pretty quickly. Of the things I listed above, wood pellets are the cheapest, the others are all roughly the same price. I've used aspen shavings, which were pretty good at odor control, and I currently use wood pellets, which are excellent at odor control.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
spy9doc, which pellets post are you talking about? I've written about pellets several times, but none of them stand out in my memory.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
Are you saying lining a litter box with a puppy pad and then covering it with carefresh? That's what I do, except I use Back-2-Nature bedding which I like a lot, and it keeps the smell down! I buy cheap puppy pads from Walmart. I change the litter box pretty often (maybe every other day or so--the rest of my cage is fleece) I still think Carefresh is a good bedding for a litter box or wood pellets like bpatters was telling you about with the puppy pads underneath. They don't smell as quickly as newspaper and it keeps the plastic trays that I use for the litter boxes from getting really nasty on the bottom.

Hope I could help!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
When I first started I used incontinence pads (they were cheaper than puppy pads) from Wal-mart and carefresh on top. This worked well but got expensive-which is why I switched to fleece. I didn't have any problems with odor and changed it all out once a week.

I did have a litter box at one end of the cage with hay and food and I changed that twice a week or more just because they peed/pooped more in there.

But you can find different versions of cheaper carefresh too. And shop around-my farm and home store sells Carefresh for $5 cheaper than the petco or petsmarts here.

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
Wood pellets are only good for litter boxes, it's not good to use them as bedding, it will hut their feet.For mine, I used news paper as base and then shredded news paper as bedding. For odor control, I change it 2 times a day. If that's too much for you, you could still use news paper as base and then wood shavings for bedding. Although shredded paper is still cheaper.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.