Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

need disposable solution

HI
    I'm a new pig owner to an awesome guy named Garfunkel and getting a new pig this weekend my mom does not want fleece or towels in the washer so i need a disposable solution my cage is separated into to areas a play and a bathroom/food area because i read that they will go to the bathroom where they eat I'm considering puppy pads and care fresh in a litter box.I would appreciate any advice recommendations or suggestions

PS i also need to be aware of odor control

Thanks
    Thanks
    3,924 Rec'd/3,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    1117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1656 Post(s)

Re: need disposable solution

Kiln-dried wood shavings, carefresh, Yesterday's News, and wood pellets are all options for you. Disposable puppy pads will get expensive pretty quickly. Of the things I listed above, wood pellets are the cheapest, the others are all roughly the same price. I've used aspen shavings, which were pretty good at odor control, and I currently use wood pellets, which are excellent at odor control.

Thanks
    Thanks
    747 Rec'd/619 Posts
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Quoted
    651 Post(s)

Garfunkle's Papa.........

Do you have an Ocean State Job Lot nearby? I buy puppy pads there (inexpensive) to line the cage, with a variety of litter on top. Personally, I don't like Carefresh very much because I didn't find it very good at odor control and far too expensive. I much prefer Petco's Eco/Green pellets... the crumbled paper w/baking soda being my favorite.

I'm currently experimenting with Carefresh (without odor control) mixed with the Petco and it seems to control the odor pretty well. I don't know what state you're in, but look for a local Agway or feed store for bedding......far less expensive.

BTW, I put a double layer of the puppy pads in the end of the cage where he urinates frequently. Then I can slide out the top soiled one and get more mileage out of the litter. The cage is changed and scrubbed from top to bottom each week.

Thanks
    Thanks
    747 Rec'd/619 Posts
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Quoted
    651 Post(s)

BTW, BP.......can you provide the link to your post on wood pellets, please. Thanks.....

Thanks
    Thanks
    3,924 Rec'd/3,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    1117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1656 Post(s)

spy9doc, which pellets post are you talking about? I've written about pellets several times, but none of them stand out in my memory.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    68 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Are you saying lining a litter box with a puppy pad and then covering it with carefresh? That's what I do, except I use Back-2-Nature bedding which I like a lot, and it keeps the smell down! I buy cheap puppy pads from Walmart. I change the litter box pretty often (maybe every other day or so--the rest of my cage is fleece) I still think Carefresh is a good bedding for a litter box or wood pellets like bpatters was telling you about with the puppy pads underneath. They don't smell as quickly as newspaper and it keeps the plastic trays that I use for the litter boxes from getting really nasty on the bottom.

Hope I could help!

Thanks
    Thanks
    747 Rec'd/619 Posts
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Quoted
    651 Post(s)

BP......as active as you are here on the forum, there's no way you can remember everything. No worries, I was just being lazy....and with a bit of sleuthing, found the post:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...mell-down.html

Always looking to learn something new.

Thanks
    Thanks
    250 Rec'd/201 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)

When I first started I used incontinence pads (they were cheaper than puppy pads) from Wal-mart and carefresh on top. This worked well but got expensive-which is why I switched to fleece. I didn't have any problems with odor and changed it all out once a week.

I did have a litter box at one end of the cage with hay and food and I changed that twice a week or more just because they peed/pooped more in there.

But you can find different versions of cheaper carefresh too. And shop around-my farm and home store sells Carefresh for $5 cheaper than the petco or petsmarts here.

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Wood pellets are only good for litter boxes, it's not good to use them as bedding, it will hut their feet.For mine, I used news paper as base and then shredded news paper as bedding. For odor control, I change it 2 times a day. If that's too much for you, you could still use news paper as base and then wood shavings for bedding. Although shredded paper is still cheaper.

User Tag List