Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Why is cilantro so important in a guinea pigs diet?

Number1Sticky

Cavy Slave
Everyone says cilantro is important in a guinea pigs diet. I’m just wondering why? Marshal (my pig) gets unlimited Timothy hay and pellets, four different kinds of leafy greens a day and vitamin C. I don’t mind feeding it to him; I’m just wondering if he actually NEEDS it. And how much a day?

Thanks for any help!!

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
It isn't so much that it's important that they have this particular item as that it's one of the few that's good for them no matter how much they have, or how often.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
It's piggy crack for my guys:shhh:! I think I might even be able to train them to clean their own cage if I use it for a bribe:D!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@spy9doc When I first tried cilantro, my Pedro was disgusted by it. Now, it really is piggie crack in his eyes! Just keep trying!

Number1Sticky

Cavy Slave
Certainly, you don't have to feed cilantro. Mine don't care for it. But, you must feed other vegetables, not just leafy greens. Tomato, cukes, zucchini, celery, limited amount of cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli. The nutrition charts are full of good ideas for variety.
Veggie chart:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

My guinea pig won’t eat a lot of veggies other than leafy stuff. He won’t eat celery, cucumbers or zucchini. And I’ve heard there is a lot of sugar in carrots and tomatoes. And my guinea pig it really fat, so I try to keep him away from sugary veggies. I can try cucumbers again. But I tried for weeks with celery and zucchini, no luck. Stubborn little pig.

Number1Sticky

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig doesn't like it that much. He eats it, but he eats almost anything. He always eats his other veggies first (he will actually push it out of the way until he's done with his other food) and then eats his cilantro because that's all that's left and he's constantly eating and I guess that's better then nothing. :) Which is surprising considering he won't eat some other common veggies.

But I can still feed it to him. Because it's so healthy for him. How much should I give him a day?

Last edited:

4theLOVEofPigs

Cavy Slave
OK here's a question I've been wondering about, And since I seen it here I thought I'd ask so here goes.

I know you are to De-string Celery because of the choking hazard!
But how can you feed the silk off of an ear of corn without it also being a choking hazard?

I know often times when I eat corn on the cob and get a string in my throat it hangs up, How come it doesn't/won't bother a pig? Like I said just asking? :eek:

How soon can you be at my house?? I have some cilantro for you. :rolleyes:

I figured I'd give it one more try, so today bought some cilantro at the market, brought it home and offered it to Chester. Normally, he will at least try everything. I swear to you that he turned up his nose and wouldn't go near it! He carefully walked around it until I removed it from his cage.

However, due to the conversation that we all had yesterday, I also got some corn husks for him. Oh, joy......his beloved corn husks and silks had returned. :tearsofjo

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
That's a good question, I'm not 100% sure but I think the husk is what you feed to the pigs, not the silk.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
OK here's a question I've been wondering about, And since I seen it here I thought I'd ask so here goes.

I know you are to De-string Celery because of the choking hazard!
But how can you feed the silk off of an ear of corn without it also being a choking hazard?

I know often times when I eat corn on the cob and get a string in my throat it hangs up, How come it doesn't/won't bother a pig? Like I said just asking? :eek:

You can feed the husk and the silk! However... I had a piggy who choked on a piece of husk once. He was fine after a few seconds and I think he just learned to chew more :eek:ptimist:
All of my babies love love corn husk and I get it for free. My local grocery store saves them for me. I get a box full every other day... I have a lot of piggies; so it is nice to have some form of free green coming in :) After all... They are ADORABLE but none of my ninjas have landed a job yet. lol

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Husk and silk are both fine to feed. We had the discussion on celery once and an admin said it is not just the choking from the strings of celery, but they do not digest like corn silk. Think of the comparison, corn silk being quite delicate, celery string quite tough. So celery strings can cause internal problems when they do not pass.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I whack both celery and corn silks up in about 1/2-1 inch pieces so the pigs are less likely to get choked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.