Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning quick question!

stelle

Cavy Slave
So I finally made my 2x4 C&C cage. I zip tied the grids together and bought fleece bedding online. The fleece bedding is the type that folds over the sides of the cloroplast.
My question is for those who use fleece.. do you take apart your cubes to change the fleece every week? or is there a simpler way to do it?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Normally the coroplast sits loosely inside the grids. If you have to cut the zip tie weekly, perhaps change to something that's easier to close? Like binder clips.

See this gallery for ideas:
Doors - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

* I'm not suggesting that you make a door, but the side that needs to come off can be clipped to the other side like the doors in the gallery.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
When I used fleece, it was fitted to several inches bigger than the size of the inside of the cage. I had more than one change out.. So when it came time to change, I lifted the sides of the c &c cage cleaned everything and replaced all bedding and fleece. Then I would put the grids back over it so every thing was held in place. I didn't stay with fleece as I just couldn't get the small particles of hay all off before the fleece went into the washer.

stelle

Cavy Slave
For some reason the cloroplast fits pretty tightly inside the grids. Im not sure why, i guess i just measured it wrong.. but it makes putting the fleece on and off sooo hard!!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
No, no need to take the grids apart to clean the fleece. Just take the fleece out of the cage off of the coroplast. If your coroplast is a tight fit to the grids then you might be right and simply measured it too large. If your grids are zip tied together, you can always just loosen the ties to create a wider berth for the coroplast.

4theLOVEofPigs

Cavy Slave
I don't use coroplast so I really can't advise on this but.
I used Black Conveyor Belt Material for my sides instead cut 8" wide and fit to the length of my cage sides, Plastic Ty's holding on the Belt Material.
I simply cut my under padding which is a U haul blanket to the size of the bottom of my cage 1" larger in both directions, as well as I did the same for my fleece top.
I fold over the excess which is about 1/2" in either direction on both pads and the soaking up ability isn't affected and neither is the wicking of the fleece.
And for the most part it stays in place after the stuff and of coarse piggies are put in the cage.

Sweeping it out twice a day can be a little tricky around the edges "BUT" it's not to bad once you figure out your own way of doing it

lissie

Cavy Slave
Sounds like she has Piggy Bedspread, which covers the sides and wraps over the whole outside of the coroplast. In that case, it would be very hard to put it on without having to undo the grids.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I have piggy bedspreads as well and although it sometimes can be a tight fit, sometimes I will simply lift one side of the coroplast out and wrap the bedspread sides around the sides of the coroplast then repeat with the other side. No taking down the grids needed.

lissie

Cavy Slave
She said her coroplast is too tight for the grids. In that case, she's either have to undo many grid to loosen them up or she could cut one end and opens it up.

See this cage, the sides opens up and swings out. To do this, you'd just need to cut zip tie from one end of the cage.

stelle

Cavy Slave
thanks!
Maybe what I'll try is putting the connectors between the grids rather than the zip ties as this should make more room for the cloroplast.
I do have the piggy bedspreads.. its hard to get them on with the grids also because the cage is on a table.. and i don't have the loongest arms to reach to the far side of the cage. Illl play around with the grids and see what i can come up with. Thanks !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.