Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Keeping Males and Females Together

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x6 grid C&C cage that I currently only keep one guinea pig in. I was wondering if you can keep an (un-neutered) male guinea pig and an (un-spayed) female guinea pig together as long as there is a grid wall separating them?:confused:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't because it would torment the male. You'd be better off neutering the male if you plan to get one or stick with guinea pigs of the same sex.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Only if you have very good lids clamped down on both cages can you keep them next to each other. But as Pinky said, it's pretty cruel to the male.

Piglicious

Cavy Slave
unless your really wanting a female pig getting a pig of the same gender of your current pig would simpler...it was for me. all the the humane society has near near me are female pigs and i can't get Havoc neutered right now but just a couple days ago i found a really nice lady that had rescued a pregnant female pig from horrid conditions and is now rehomeing the babies...so this coming wednesday i'll picking my baby white crested boy i've named Fuery.

so unless you really want a girl and can afford to have your boy neutered it would deffinantly easier to get another boy

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I would say no on keeping an intact male with a female, even with a grid as barrier. A male pig is a very determined little critter when there is a female in heat nearby. He will find a way, whether it would be to climb over or knock the grid down, to get to that female.

You would be better off getting a same sex guinea pig as the one you have. A neutered male (after the standard post-neuter wait time - I believe it's 2 weeks) would be fine with a female.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.