Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shavings How to stop my guinea pigs from flinging litter out of cages?

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop my pigs from flinging their litter out of their cage:?: The walls are 5 or 6 inches high. Thanks a lot.

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
You could either switch to fleece or order more coroplast/corex and tape on higher sides.

pinky

Cavy Slave
What kind of litter are you using? Aspen isn't as lightweight as pine is. You can also try Yesterday's News (unscented) which is pretty heavy or Carefresh to see if those are better.

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
No, I am not using aspen, I am using kiln dried pine. I have used fleece with previous pigs (r.i.p.), but it didn't work right. I have used carefresh before and I might switch again.

schezleigh

Cavy Slave
I agee with allmypiggies, you could ty switching to fleece. I had the same issue with my guys, since i switched to fleece nomore issues :)

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
Did you wash and dry three times and then test it to see if its wicking?
If its not wicking, keep washing it. I recently bought fleece that was too thick to wick, because i didnt buy the right kind.
I suggest buying polar fleece for your cage. I think your pigs will really like it too! :)

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
As I said, I couldn't stop the fleece from stinking. I would switch it every 2 to 3 days and scoop the beans left behind but it still didn't work. I think I will try carefresh if they don't stop.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
What did you use under the fleece and how big is your cage? Fleece doesn't work well in smaller cages. Other then that, higher sides would work.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Pine is lighter than aspen so it is a lot messier. With 5" sides, you might even have poop flinging out if you use fleece. I have 6" sides on my 2 x 6 coroplast cage and use fleece and I find poop around the sides of the cage. I preferred my old 2 x 5 with 8" sides. I never had a problem with anything around the cage.
No, I am not using aspen, I am using kiln dried pine. I have used fleece with previous pigs (r.i.p.), but it didn't work right. I have used carefresh before and I might switch again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.