Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

how to clean toys

Iluvguineapiggs

Cavy Slave
Im getting 2 guinea pigs and I was wondering how to clean their toys I will be getting things like pigloos, ferret balls, cozy cups, cuddle sacks, wood chews, AND those crinkle tunnels...etc. how do I clean them?

i heard you can soak them in warm soapy water, but i also heard from a guinea pig EXPERT that soap is too strong for them. so how should i clean the toys? (including cozy cups and washable things)

THANKSlol

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
The washable things should go in the washer, weather you use soap or not i am not sure. I use a little warm water to clean my piggie toys, the plastic ones at least.

Also (and somebody more experience can please correct me if I'm wrong) but a ferret ball? Is that a ball you put them in and let them roll around the floor or whatever? Because those are NOT recommended for piggies, they easily hurt their backs and legs. You also have to be very careful what types of ramps you use. Again please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I understood.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know who your guinea pig EXPERT is, but you definitely need soap to clean the fabric things in their cage, especially the stuff they pee and poop on. You just have to make sure it's rinsed well enough to get all the soap out. I personally would avoid getting anything I couldn't throw in the washing machine -- it won't take very long for you to get tired of doing any laundry by hand.

No balls where the guinea pig goes inside -- their backs are not intended to be bent that way, and they can easily be injured. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because something is marketed for guinea pigs, it's actually good for them. What it's good for is increasing the profit of the places that manufacture and sell them, and that's about it.

Iluvguineapiggs

Cavy Slave
no I mean those little jingly balls with bells in them. Even though im a newbie here, i have done my research and i know whats good and whats not good for guinea pigs. :)

so bpatters how do you clean the plastic stuff?

wrongdecade

Cavy Slave
I could be wrong, but I think warm water and dish washing detergent should be find for the plastic things. Like cleaning their food and water containers, just rinse well.

If you are worried about strength of soap, use a mild, hypo-allergenic one or alternatively vinegar and warm water would also work.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Welcome and I can't wait to see pictures once you get your piggies! I wash the water bottles and pigaloo with hot water/dish soap or I use vinegar/hot water. The most important thing is to rinse really well(use cold water when rinsing plastic, it gets all the soap taste off, I know most people think you should use hot but trust me on this:shhh:).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I clean the plastic stuff with dishwashing detergent and hot water.

Iluvguineapiggs

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! I look forward to posting pics ;)

I think for a good cleaning I'll let it soak in the sink with warm water and mild soap then scrub with a sponge and for a quick cleaning (maybe when the toys look a little dirty) ill rinse with warm water and spray down with vinegar water solution. sound good?

2 more questions:
for fleece cleaning what detergent do you think is best? we use tide, so i think tide would be easiest. which kind do you think i should use? baby,original...?

and is cleaning the water bottle with regular warm water and a bottle brush good enough? (i will let the bottle brushes soak in a bowl full of water and a little vinegar for 10 minutes once a week to dissenfect them.)

LauraK

Cavy Slave
I use ALL or anything that is "free and clear" of dye or perfumes. In my opinion, Tide is very strong smelling and my family members have had allergic reactions to it, so I can't imagine letting my guinea pigs breathe it in. It's a personal preference, but I've had great luck with it :)

As for the water bottle, I rinse/change mine everyday, so it doesn't need cleaning very often- but the bottle brushes and a little bit of dish soap work great. I don't put the metal dispenser part in the soap, just because there are too many "nooks and crannies" for soap to get stuck in. I just run really hot water through it and use a smaller brush or q tips to clean it out and I've had great luck with it.

Just my previous experience, and you'll find what works for you :) Congrats on the new pigs!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I use a small amount of tide detergent and vinegar for my guinea laundry.

I have back washers so for the water bottles I just use warm water and white rice.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
@Peggysu - sorry can you explain what the term "back washers" means? I've not heard that before. thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I used Tide when I was using fleece, just because that's what we use for our own laundry. The pigs didn't have any problems with it, but I did do an extra rinse on their laundry.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Oops, by back washers I mean my pigs spit back into their water bottles making it yucky with their green piggy spit.

wrongdecade

Cavy Slave
I use a small amount of tide detergent and vinegar for my guinea laundry.

I have back washers so for the water bottles I just use warm water and white rice.

Just wondering how to clean with rice? Never heard of it before and I'm curious! :)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Little bit of water, some uncooked rice and shake.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Ah I understand now Peggysue!

The raw rice and water shake trick does work really well, it's amazing how it "scrubs".

wrongdecade

Cavy Slave
Little bit of water, some uncooked rice and shake.

Ohh! What a great idea, will try next time I'm washing the bottles. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
How do you strain out the rice when you empty the bottles? I wash my bottles in my utility sink in my laundry room where there's no disposal. I use a baby bottle brush for the bottle and a tiny brush for the spout. I keep pipe cleaners on hand to really clean out the whole spout. I always take out the gasket and clean it because it can get slimy really fast. I use my finger to clean around the inside edge of the bottle after I scrub it out. I wash with dishwashing detergent and vinegar.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I dump the rice down my sink. I have a garbage disposal.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
I rinse my rice out into a sieve and put it in the compost afterwards, I don't have a garbage disposal in my sink either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.