Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece What kind of vacuum do you use to vacuum poops?

bostonbob

Cavy Slave
I've had a pair of girls for 5 days now. Fleece on uhaul. The first few days I just swept the poops with a dustpan and brush. Yesterday i tried using an old dirt devil hand vac I had - the super strong plug-in kind. Big big big mistake! The vacuum just FILLED the room with the terrible smell of piggy poop. Honestly, up until that moment I was wondering if piggy poops smelled at all, because i hadn't noticed any poop smell for the first few days. So I'm back to sweeping for now, but vacuuming would be much more convenient, if there's some kind of vacuum that doesn't magnify the smell of piggy poop - any suggestions?

As an aside, I'm curious what people do it in a cage with traditional bedding - these girls poop so much, I'd think after a week a cage would have a layer of poop a couple inches deep!

Texaschic81

Cavy Slave
I use a handheld cordless shark vaccum no smells. Also I wonder about the bedding too. Because I have a pig quirentined in a small petstore cage and was using the bedding for it. I hated for tha t reason.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I just use our regular stand up vacuum with a hose attachment. I use fabreeze vacuum bags and have never had a smell problem.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I don't use a vac at all as it messes up the fleece. I have a bucket with a cover next to the cage. (I have four adult sows). I have a cheap, metal-bowled, long-handled spoon from the Dollar Store. As I watch TV, talk on the phone, listen to music.. or just go over to visit the gals in the cage, I scoop poops. If you get in the habit of doing this, you will have a clean cage most of the time.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use fleece pads; two or three to the cage. I just lift them out, one at a time, and shake them into a lined trash can I keep in the room. I flip the fleece pad over to the other side after shaking it out. I can tell if the pad needs to be changed when I shake them out since I can see if the uhaul pad underneath is damp or not. I can also tell if the fleece pad is smelly. This system works really well for me.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
The problem with the smell might not be their poop but because it's old vacuum?

Subsonica

Cavy Slave
I just use a cheap Argos own brand hand vac (think it cost like £12), it gets poops up fine and I don't notice a smell, but I always make sure that I empty it straight away. Maybe that could be the problem you have, are you emptying it after? If not, then yeh it will end up being smelly. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.