Thread: What kind of vacuum do you use to vacuum poops?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

What kind of vacuum do you use to vacuum poops?

I've had a pair of girls for 5 days now. Fleece on uhaul. The first few days I just swept the poops with a dustpan and brush. Yesterday i tried using an old dirt devil hand vac I had - the super strong plug-in kind. Big big big mistake! The vacuum just FILLED the room with the terrible smell of piggy poop. Honestly, up until that moment I was wondering if piggy poops smelled at all, because i hadn't noticed any poop smell for the first few days. So I'm back to sweeping for now, but vacuuming would be much more convenient, if there's some kind of vacuum that doesn't magnify the smell of piggy poop - any suggestions?

As an aside, I'm curious what people do it in a cage with traditional bedding - these girls poop so much, I'd think after a week a cage would have a layer of poop a couple inches deep!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: What kind of vacuum do you use to vacuum poops?

I use a handheld cordless shark vaccum no smells. Also I wonder about the bedding too. Because I have a pig quirentined in a small petstore cage and was using the bedding for it. I hated for tha t reason.

Thanks
    Thanks
    747 Rec'd/619 Posts
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Quoted
    651 Post(s)

Well, Bob, welcome to the reality of owning guinea pigs! That's what they do........eat, sleep, pee and poop. Eventually, you will become like the rest of us......why do you think we call ourselves "cavy slaves"? Just kidding, but as the girls grow on you, you will just accept it as normal and a part of who they are.

Cavies have a VERY fast transit time of about 4 hours, and most of them have toilet needs about every 15-30 minutes. Unlike we humans (and most animals) who are required to fast prior to surgery, one is specifically instructed NOT to fast a cavy because they will easily become hypoglycemic in a short time. And, it is quite normal for them to eat their poops........although mostly at night. Their digestive system is not physiologically like we humans, and they recycle night poops to extract the nutrients from them.

I keep a Black & Decker Dustbuster Wet & Dry Vac near the cage that I spot clean with. The vacuum doesn't hold much, but its filter is simple a sponge which can be washed if it becomes smelly. I've been accused of having hyperosmia and can smell a cigarette at 50 yds.........and I haven't yet cleaned the vac sponge. (note to self: clean DB).

Just reread your last question. Both I and my cavies hated a full cage fleece covering. I didn't like seeing the poops everywhere, nor did I want them lying or stepping on them. And, I will never again use the wood shavings bedding because it doesn't control odor, gets in their bum, and got into Bubba's eye which required treatment. My current bedding is to use puppy pads to line the cage, and then a layer of Planet Petco Crumpled Paper Bedding w/baking soda to control odor. I spot clean at least twice a day, with a full cage change 1-2x/week. I keep a box of nitrile gloves by the cage and just pick up everything, then spray the areas with Clean Cage, and then put a small amount of new litter on the area.

My experience is that when they are young, they pee and poop everywhere. As Chester got older (his brother died at about 5 mo. old), he seemed to sort things out for himself and primarily pees in one corner. I'm now experimenting with putting a small paper plate under the top bedding in that corner to make things even easier.

As an aside, both boys trained us when they needed to go back to their cage to use the toilet. Bubba would run up ones chest, and begin pulling at your collar or sleeve. Chester has a slightly different routine. He is a talker.........he chirps almost constantly when lying in my lap, but the chirps are soft and infrequent. He too will run up my chest to under my chin, the chirps will increase in volume and frequency, and he will nip at my nose. If he is ignored, he will resort to biting my nose............and then he gets frantic to go back. He never urinates on us unless we ignore him, and rarely poops out of the cage.

My partner recently told me, "I think you have more patience with Chester than you would have had with a child". Dunno...........he's probably right.

4. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

nicholelynne (10-20-11)

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,094 Rec'd/794 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

I just use our regular stand up vacuum with a hose attachment. I use fabreeze vacuum bags and have never had a smell problem.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    333 Rec'd/206 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I don't use a vac at all as it messes up the fleece. I have a bucket with a cover next to the cage. (I have four adult sows). I have a cheap, metal-bowled, long-handled spoon from the Dollar Store. As I watch TV, talk on the phone, listen to music.. or just go over to visit the gals in the cage, I scoop poops. If you get in the habit of doing this, you will have a clean cage most of the time.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Unincorporated Carol Stream, Illinois, United States
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,018 Rec'd/1,605 Posts
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)

I use fleece pads; two or three to the cage. I just lift them out, one at a time, and shake them into a lined trash can I keep in the room. I flip the fleece pad over to the other side after shaking it out. I can tell if the pad needs to be changed when I shake them out since I can see if the uhaul pad underneath is damp or not. I can also tell if the fleece pad is smelly. This system works really well for me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    479 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

The problem with the smell might not be their poop but because it's old vacuum?

9. "Thank you, Hhbean, for this useful post," says:

4theLOVEofPigs (10-19-11)

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just use a cheap Argos own brand hand vac (think it cost like 12), it gets poops up fine and I don't notice a smell, but I always make sure that I empty it straight away. Maybe that could be the problem you have, are you emptying it after? If not, then yeh it will end up being smelly.

User Tag List