Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Newbie..

stelle

Cavy Slave
Hi!
So im going to be ordering a c&c cage for my little guy, but i want to start using fleece as bedding..
I could make my own liners but i have a few questions..

First, what type of fleece is best? I know there are tons of different types and Im not sure which one will work best.

Do most people make they're liners fleece-uhaul-fleece? With just 1 layer of uhaul in between?

Is there a thread that has multiple websites that sell pre-made liners?
Thanks!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I prefer the no-pill fleece.

4theLOVEofPigs

Cavy Slave
Hi!
So im going to be ordering a c&c cage for my little guy, but i want to start using fleece as bedding..
I could make my own liners but i have a few questions..

First, what type of fleece is best? I know there are tons of different types and Im not sure which one will work best.

Do most people make they're liners fleece-uhaul-fleece? With just 1 layer of uhaul in between?

Is there a thread that has multiple websites that sell pre-made liners?
Thanks!

You can buy fleece blankets at your local dollar store I get mine at the Family Dollar here in my town they measure 30x60 inches. They seem to do pretty good depending on the size of your cage of coarse will tell you the size you need.
My cage is a self made C&C type cage 2x3 grid.

I also use a U Haul blanket as my liner, But also use some older type blankets I've had since I was a kid and I'm now 49, They are somewhat like fleece but are made of cotton and polyester their type of fuzzy to some extent but work as good as the fleece in my opinion.
I've used them for years as fender covers because my wife has asthma and could use them to cover up with.
So once I decided to give fleece a try I also pressed them into service instead of letting them rot in my garage.
Some people here say they use cotton towels "BUT" I would say they'd have to be pretty thick in order to be absorbent enough to work as a good pad.

As for how mine is laid out mine is put down U Haul blanket first, folded over at the one end but not the other because of the food bin and hay manger I've used. Then folded over a little on both sides to fit neatly in my cage.
Then comes the Fleece blanket folded in half and the folded and tucked under on the sides.
I was going to sew them together but my wife told me to try it like this and it works just as well I would say, I've seen no reason to add a bottom layer of fleece to it but then mine aren't sowed together.

"NOTE" many on here say no folding layers because it doesn't seem to work as well this way.
But in my case that hasn't proven true.
Just try different combos and see whats right for you.

As far as threads for mutiple websites someone else here may know of some but I sure don't, Many here make their own, or improvise as I do.
Search the forums here there are plenty of good post explaining how others have done it, that's how I figured mine out I hoped this helped?

And Good Luck.... Fleece is so much better and easier and cheaper then shavings... :)

stelle

Cavy Slave
thanks for all your help!!
ive decided to build my own c&c cage as the shipping to canada is soooo expensive!! :O

pinky

Cavy Slave
I put two layers of fleece with a single layer of uhaul padding on top. I stitch around three sides and about half of the fourth side. I trim around the edges (trimming the uhaul padding closer to the seam) and turn it inside out so the fleece is on both sides and the uhaul padding is in the middle. I flatten it and stitch the remaining small section so the fabric is folded under like the rest of the pad. Then I sew all around the outside, about 1 to 2" from the edge. If the pad is very large, I stitch some stitches across the pad in both directions but I pin it down first to hold it in place. One layer of uhaul padding was sufficient. Two layers didn't dry well after washing.

stelle

Cavy Slave
thanks!
How do you keep the fleece down and from the piggys burrowing underneath?
Do you just use little weights or something? That is if the bedding doesnt fit over the sides of the cage..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.