Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Litter Under Fleece

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
I have been having issues with my cage smelling and I am in the process of experimenting things that could work. It doesn't "stink" all it really is is the guinea pig marking their territory i guess but their cage is in my bedroom. A while ago I asked my mom if she had any ideas and she mentioned cat litter. But to put it under the fleece in a thin layer. Would that work if I got the right kind of litter or should I just do something else. Thanks

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
The only concern I have with that is if your piggies get under the fleece and sample the kitty litter it could hurt them. Good luck!

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
I think it could harm them if they happened to eat it. What have you tried so far?

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Well my pigs don't burrow under the fleece anymore and I either weigh it down or if it's big enough, clip it to the sides. I have tried towels and fleece, and bedding. but the bedding was cheap stuff that came with a cage so it didn't really work. i am going to try to buy either uhaul pads or bedding this weekend to experiment. THanks for the quick feedback

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
I would think the litter would stick to the fleece. You could try disposable puppy pads or pooch pads which are washable puppy pads I have used both before and they never had any problems with odor control. Hope all goes well and you find a good solution.

Squint96

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use the cat litter because if they eat it it will expand inside their belly and cause a lot of problems. I strongly suggest not using the cat litter. I use wood pellets which give off a very woody smell, but cover up the pigs smell well. Just MAKE SURE you get the kind with out chemicals or excellerators, they aren't safe for the pigs.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
No cat litter but yesterday's news might be a good alternative or as squint96 said the wood pellets.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've tried wood pellets under fleece. It worked pretty well but get stuck to fleece. So other than having to brush off hay and fur from the top, I have to brush off the wood dust from under fleece before putting it in the washing machine.

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to pass on that idea and I think I will try puppy pads because I just found some leftovers from my puppy. THanks again

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.