Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are popsicle sticks safe?

knj240

Cavy Slave
I have a sun conure and parakeet who are bonded and I usually buy toy parts in Bulk and non toxic un-coated Sisal rope and make my own toys for them. One of their favorite toys is ANY TOY with Popsicle sticks, they go quick. I was thinking about making some sort of hidey out of my popsicle sticks for my piggy.
I haven't gone into deep thought or research about what kind of glue I'd use "have to be a non toxic glue of course" but would this be ok? or just not safe?

knj240

Cavy Slave
I also read in past threads that some didn't agree much with any wood chews because if they get wet with urine/feces/saliva they grow and harbor bacteria and that they should only have hay to chew on. I however think that this might be a little bit miserable for them to ONLY have hay to chew on... They love using their mouths, The little time that I have had these two guinea pigs they love(d) to take a taste of everything and are very curious, so just giving them HAY to chew on can't be enough for them.
Just like with my birds, they take a lot of their excess energy and anxiety out on their toys, I can imagine guinea pigs do to (through chewing.) I have several chews in my cage, so it did make me second guess myself. Maybe having these up off the cage floor would be a good idea though.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Most popsicle sticks are made of birch (from what I have found), which is safe for pigs. My concern would be, in my experience way back as a destructive kid, that popsicle sticks tend to splinter easily. That would be very dangerous for a pig. There are plenty of safe things to stimulate guinea pigs, why not choose one of those? Erring on the side of caution is always best with these little ones, IMO.

If you are concerned that they need some variety in what they chew on, buy a wooden hidey house. Even better, buy a few different types of hay and offer a rotation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.