Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shavings changing the cage.

lexiismiles

Cavy Slave
I currently have two guinea pigs, and they are still in a petstore cage (dont worry i build a C&C cage and my bottom should be in on monday, had to order it from the sign shop in town. I currently change the cages every other day. They seem to pee and poop sooo much. I was just wondering if this is due to the small size, that it seems so bad? Because right now, its not big deal but while the new cage, if i still have to change the bedding every other day, i will have to find a cheaper way. By the second day, if i scope the bedding, its wet all the way to the bottom. I am putting 3-4 inches, maybe even more. Any feedback?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The small cage definitely contributes to the pee problem, and a larger cage should help.

Pigs pee and poop the most where they eat and sleep, so you can use that to your advantage. In a bigger cage, they'll pick a spot where they pee and poop a good bit, likely in a corner. You can put a litter pan there, and catch a good bit of output. You can also put one under their hayrack (be sure it's big enough that their butts are inside the litter box), and put some sort of pads (fleece wrapped around towels or sewed to mattress pads, for example) under their hideys.

That way, you can change the litter boxes and swap out the hideys as needed, and not have to do a full cage cleaning so often.

What kind of bedding are you using?

lexiismiles

Cavy Slave
Aspen Wood and paper bedding. Actually, i noticed my piggys like to pee and poop in two corners, so i plan to use a litter pan there. They actually back up into the corner, its funny lol

thank you :]

knj240

Cavy Slave
Have you considered other bedding? I myself am not big on the wood shavings bedding for any small animal, I think it pokes them and other small animals I had when I was younger I seemed to have the same problem of pee leaking all the way through instead of having bedding that would absorb it more so.. Of course we all have our own opinions.
I had the chance to try the fleece many people use on here and loved the results, I also really like Carefresh ULTRA, but that could get expensive if you were lining the whole bottom with it.
My thought was to have the floor done in fleece and then a litterbox with Carefresh and hopefully my guinea pig would give the litterbox some use..

lexiismiles

Cavy Slave
Yesss I actually want a new bedding . I would love fleece however I don't have a washer
In My apartment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.