Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Guinea Pig Throw Up

Pretty Piggies

Cavy Slave
Today I was visiting my piggies and got their bowl to refill it with pellets. It was upside down. I turned it over and it looked like giant pellets were in there along with pellet mush. I don't feed my guinea pigs too much or too little, they have a rather small bowl that I fill with food everyday, and I also give them a carrot or a couple of grape tomatoes and sometimes celery or lettuce and cilantro. They also have an unlimited supply of timothy hay. Am I doing something wrong? Was it throw up?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
As far as I know, guinea pigs cannot vomit. Most likely the mush was pellets mixed with water either dripping in from the water bottle or its possible the water bottle dripped onto the cage floor and the pigs picked up the water on their feet and then while eating, put their feet into the food bowl.

I would check out the diet thread in this forum for ideas on what and how much food they should be getting. Pellets should be limited in quantity. Veggies and hay should be the main sources of food and nutrients.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
It could not have been throw up because guinea pigs cannot vomit. It might have been a spot where they peed on their pellets, or like CavyMama said a water bottle dripped on them.

Last edited:

Pretty Piggies

Cavy Slave

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
I am having the same problem! It's not throw-up, but when I was curious as to why her pellets were turning to mush I was watching her eat. She would eat and then turn around and drink her water and then turn back around to eat and water was actually dripping out of her mouth and into the pellets! I don't know how to make this stop. But I'm pretty sure your piggy is not vomiting. If anyone has a solution let me know. I hope this atleast helped you understand what you are seeing.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Kelly, what your guinea pig is doing is softening the pellets by getting a drink while eating. This could mean dental problems--how old is your pig, and has she lost any weight? Does she have trouble eating any veggies?

Some pigs do this (in horses, it's called dunking) just because they like to.

And as everyone else has been saying, guinea pigs don't vomit. They can drool, though, if they have dental issues.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Good to know! She's going to the vet today to check up on her health as she was recently sick. I'll mention it to him and see what he says. I'm not sure of her age he said she was a teenager whatever that means. She just had pups 3 weeks ago and I'm getting them sexed later today at the moms visit. I hope she just likes to soften her food. She seems to eat lettuce and raspberries and carrots no problem so I dont know. We shall find out. Now on to my stubborn Froyo. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.