Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Accident - hair pulled out

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
The person I had check on my boys while I was out of town left her 5 year old son alone with them while she went to get food.
The boy obviously decided to try to pick up Charlie and grabbed him by his hair.
I am not sure how it happened exactly, but Charlie is now missing a huge patch of hair and the skin looks red and irritated in spots.

IMAG0252.jpg

I think he may have dropped him back into the cage as well when his mom ran up the stairs when she heard Charlie yell.

Charlie seems ok. He is eating although not as vigorously as he usually would be. He is walking ok.

So, for now it seems to only be a hair issue.
Is there anything I can do to soothe the areas where the skin looks red?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would weigh him daily for a bit to make sure he is eating normally. Have you checked his teeth? Pigs that get dropped can have broken teeth.

It does look sore, poor boy. I think it would be best just to keep it clean and dry while waiting for the hair to grow in.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ohh poor baby! I'm so sorry this happened to him!

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I would weigh him daily for a bit to make sure he is eating normally. Have you checked his teeth? Pigs that get dropped can have broken teeth.

It does look sore, poor boy. I think it would be best just to keep it clean and dry while waiting for the hair to grow in.

Yes, his front teeth are ok.
I put a cool wet washcloth against it for a little while and it seemed to have helped with the redness.

I am watching him closely. He has been a little withdrawn since I came home and found out about the incident. Been giving him a lot of lap time.

Makes me so sad and I can't wait till the hair grows back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.