Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Pads Puppy Attractant/Odor Neutralizer in Puppy Pads?

Katrina864

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I'm going to purchase some puppy pads for my guinea pigs, but I’ve noticed that every single brand of puppy pads I've found says it contains "puppy attractant," "odor neutralizer," “pheromones,” or something along those lines. Does anyone know if these added scents will cause respiratory problems for guinea pigs in the long run?

I've had one guinea pig with respiratory problems before, so I would hate to see that happen again.

I will have one layer of fleece over the puppy pads, but I’m assuming the scents can still go through the fleece into my guinea pigs’ nostrils.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
I use puppy pads without anything on top and my pigs have never had a problem with them. They are nice and soft and very absorbant. I have used them underneath fleece before and that worked good too. I stopped using fleece because of the hair getting in the washing machine.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Yes it can cause problems in the long run... Get the ones without "attracting scent", also make sure to cut the blue plastic that goes around the absorbing pad. If your guinea eat that it can died from intestinal blockage. Just another tip... Cut your puppy pads into 4 and put it on the corners of your pen and under your hay rack... Mine only use corners now... It saves you tons of money and you can just change that for awhile before you have to wash the fleece.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
yeah the plastic stuff could be a problem if they eat it mine used to but they stopped and don't do it anymore.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I use them for lap time with a towel over it because my piggies are attracted to the crinkle sound and try to eat it. Mine are the cheap kind without the scents.

Katrina864

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone, for your advice! Do any other puppy pad users have opinions on the added scents?

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
I am currently using the natures miracle ultra absorbant pads without anything on top of them and they work great!! I posted a question on their website and they said that the puppy attractant should not be an issue for guinea pigs. I also use their small animal cage wipes on my coroplast and they work really good as well. they did say that if your pigs are eating the platstic edges it could cause blockages. but as far as the puppy attractant goes it should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.